When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Case Tube Tool and Tap

I've gone and completely mangled the old suckful rolex rep case tube and a bit of the case threading in the process of removing a tube. Any recommended 1) case tube tool and 2) case tube tap? I've found each at Cas-Ker. Anyone have experience with these?

http://www.jewelerssupplies.com/product1154.html

http://www.jewelerssupplies.com/Case-Tube-Taps-Rolex.html

Thanks in advance.

Taps specificly marketed for Rolex on jewlers sites are way over priced.

Hi-Carbon Taps are junk as is ANYTHING tool related coming out of China. If you want to break your tap off in the case, then I suggest using Chinese taps.

You are fine with a Hi-Speed Steel tap.

Check out Production Tool: http://www.pts-tools.com/cgi/CGPTSRIM?PMITEM=EP5040030&PARTPG=CGPTLMXI&PAMENU=&PMLFNO=01_04_005_001 :thumbsupsmileyanim:

as is ANYTHING tool related coming out of China.

Hmmm, You will get a BIG argument from me over this one!

I can definetly say that a LOT of "Swiss" tools are now of Chinese origin...I know this to be fact, and have seen it with my own eyes.

The problem is this-

The Chinese manufacturers, will make 2 or 3 different levels of quality, and I freely admit some is absolute rubbish.

However they WILL and DO supply the various grades IN the SAME packaging, at various pricing levels.

I just today saw 3 screwdriver sets, various prices, they ALL look the same, but they are NOT!

The final sell price can be $10 for the junk, $20 for the middle road stuff, and around $35 for some very nice sets.

Now these last lot, will be sold as "Swiss" at around $85-$120 by the "top end" sellers.

And yet the "Amazon:" sellers, who are only interested in maximising profits, buy the cheapies and get as much as the market will stand....it makes it bloody difficult when you try to sell the higher grade, ( which appear the same) at a fair price.

Have a good look at the WP tester we sell.

If it has a "makers label" it is around $1000 wholesale. I KNOW this item is sold as a Swiss product..

If I choose to buy the unbranded version, I can resell it, as I do, to the members, at around $350!

Big difference methinks!

And I can show the same sorts of instances through a large number of products.

There are some items which the Chinese still cannot get their heads around....driver blades is a classic example...they are either too soft or too brittle....I freely admit it.

Best course of action here is to buy Horotec blades from your local distributor, and pay the premium! ( Even the Bergeon supplied blades of late have had many questions asked!!!!!!)

Maybe the taps are of a similar situation, they are something I am yet to investigate and test, but in this you could well be correct.

But don't knock the Chinese tools across the board, all it takes is a little research, testing, and judicious buying, and you can fit your bench out for many, many $ less than previous.

Sorry Mike, but your statement is too all encompassing....yep there's s**t around, but there are also some great value tools available, if you just care to look, and test!

Offshore

PS, Sorry to crap your thread FW, but I couldn't let this go unchallenged.

So now... Please return to normal viewing!

No arguments from me on that one BM good.gif

I don't have the metallurgy background to know the whys and wherefores, but certainly our Chinese friends have some serious work to do, either on the base materials from which they start in the manufacturing process, and/or in the hardening/tempering areas.

My guess is that if you start with crap material, it will never be finally a top product, and the Chinese manufacturing process and mentality is always geared towards "cheap".

My suppliers always offer the cheapest product initially, and are always surprised when I ask to see the more expensive versions.

In fact it becomes an ongoing battle to continue to obtain supply of the higher priced items, they will often try to quote and supply the cheaper lines, even after I have purchased the top line model and made it my "standard".

Another "funny" thing is the reproduction by other companies, always at a lower price, of a line which has become a winner due to its higher quality. So the 2nd and 3rd incarnation of a product, can be from a different manufacturer, and revert to the "crap" standard!

Tis an ongoing battle to continue to receive better quality items, however not too many get under the radar.

We do know that the letters QC, must not appear in the Chinese alphabet, as they have no knowledge of them, or their meaning :)

I am in accord with your experience.

Offshore