When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Black SMP that accpts gen bezel, crystal

Panther917

Hi gang, I am looking to build a Franken black SMP and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the various parts and if they will fit a rep.

I'm buying a gen dial, hands, crystal and bezel and was wondering if there is a particular dealer that might be best to check with for the rep and which rep to get? Do they come with different movements, would I need an ETA or would the asian ETA be ok?

Any thoughts on the bezel fitting a rep case? I 'm pretty sure the dial/hands and crystal will fit ok but concerned about the bezel a little? Is there that much difference between the rep bezel and gen bezel? would it be worth $100 to do upgrade to gen?

Thanks for the help. This particular watch was the first one I remember thinking was cool when I was growing up and I've got a gen rubber for it and now the dial/hands and crystal but not sure on the bezel, anyone have thoughts?

As far as i know the answer is no: rep SMP doesn't accept genuine bezel unless you mod the case and honestly i'm not sure it's worth it if you pay the bezel so much (especially if you consider the value of a good used gen): the rep bezel is pretty the same, what makes a huge difference is the insert and the pearl.

If you're skilled enough you can try to mod your pearl, there should be a tutorial on RWG.

However, Domenico made this modification to my SMP and the result is excellent, the gen bezel works like a charm.

No problem for hands, crystal and dial, straight swap if you have a ETA movement.

Good luck. :)

As far as i know the answer is no: rep SMP doesn't accept genuine bezel unless you mod the case and honestly i'm not sure it's worth it if you pay the bezel so much (especially if you consider the value of a good used gen): the rep bezel is pretty the same, what makes a huge difference is the insert and the pearl.

If you're skilled enough you can try to mod your pearl, there should be a tutorial on RWG.

However, Domenico made this modification to my SMP and the result is excellent, the gen bezel works like a charm.

No problem for hands, crystal and dial, straight swap if you have a ETA movement.

Good luck. :)

Perfect, that is exactly what I was needing to know.....I had a feeling that would be the case but not sure I want to take this prroject that far with the insert and pearl. I'm more concerned about the dial / hands and then how the gen crystal will look. That may be enough of a mod to call this one finished. I think you are right about the bezel cost and I dont want to get too far $$$ into this project. Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.

-Murph

Perfect, that is exactly what I was needing to know.....I had a feeling that would be the case but not sure I want to take this prroject that far with the insert and pearl. I'm more concerned about the dial / hands and then how the gen crystal will look. That may be enough of a mod to call this one finished. I think you are right about the bezel cost and I dont want to get too far $$$ into this project. Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.

-Murph

Hi Panther, I am in the same boat. Got the SMP Black from Sead and now getting parts from Ofrei (dial, hands and crystal).

Good luck with your project.

Cheers,

Willy

Hi Panther, I am in the same boat. Got the SMP Black from Sead and now getting parts from Ofrei (dial, hands and crystal).

Good luck with your project.

Cheers,

Willy

You too Willy, I just got a black SMP from Sead via another member and the SMP dial,crystal,hands arrived at Fed Ex today so hope to have everything put together in the next week or two. Going to pair it with a gen GMT rubber and gen clasp.....We'll see how it turns out.

Decided against the bezel swap at this point but may decide to do it later if it can be done reasonably.

Good luck with your project. Post a pic or too if you can once she's done....

-Murph

Wow! Looks great ryaku.....Hope mine turns out close to yours,,,,,minus the gen insert. If you had to do it over again, Would you say the expense of the bezel and labor to do the insert mod was worth it. Or do you feel the rep bezel, gen dial, hands and crystal would have been "close enough". Just your opinion....

• 1 month later...

Guys,

Where did you source your cases?

Panther, the Omega 2254.50 is what brought me to RWG. Two years later, I still do have one. I understand the current version of "Swiss" Seamaster has wrong He escape valve location. Suppose I don't care as it's nearly impossible to find an old school case, will the gen dial fit into this case?

Thanks!

Cougaree

Case is from Mary - Watch-international: the watch was originally a SMP Bond which means you need a new insert, dial, hands and bracelet.

Wow! Looks great ryaku.....Hope mine turns out close to yours,,,,,minus the gen insert. If you had to do it over again, Would you say the expense of the bezel and labor to do the insert mod was worth it. Or do you feel the rep bezel, gen dial, hands and crystal would have been "close enough". Just your opinion....

Sorry for the late replay buddy,

i'd say it''d be too close to the gen price if you are not patient enough to find good deals on ebay.

For example i bought a brand new dial for 60 bucks, a used bezel/insert for 50 bucks and labor was from Domi at a reasonable price.

If you had to buy all these parts at Ofrei's price i'd say it's not worth it.

Insert: i reckon it's an important upgrade but you don't need necessarly a gen bezel or insert: there's a very accurate insert ina SMP chrono black rep. It's really spot on.

http://www.1-pc8838.com/omse10012-divers-chrono-25945200-black-a7750-28800bph-p-2926.html

No need to say you have to be patient, very patient.

Thanks for the advise! I'm actually thinking about the same thing. I think it's fun taking my time collecting all the parts. It's not like we don't have another watch to wear :)

As for the bezel insert on that Omega chronograph, can we get it from our dealers without buying the whole watch?

Thanks again!

Guys,

Where did you source your cases?

Panther, the Omega 2254.50 is what brought me to RWG. Two years later, I still do have one. I understand the current version of "Swiss" Seamaster has wrong He escape valve location. Suppose I don't care as it's nearly impossible to find an old school case, will the gen dial fit into this case?

Thanks!

Cougaree

Courgaree....I've got all the parts minus the gen bezel (which I decided against) but the seconds hand arrived bent from the previous owner and haven't taken the time to order another one from Offrei....Its been sitting beside the franken UPO project in my "to do list" pile...ha! Haven't had much time for reps lately but maybe this will spark me to get those two projects finished....:thumbsupsmileyanim:

As for the bezel insert on that Omega chronograph, can we get it from our dealers without buying the whole watch?

Thanks again!

Good question.

I tried but no luck so i bought that SMP chrono from silix for 140 USD (yes, no mistake, it's a special offer).

I sold other parts and the insert was almost for free at the end of the day.

I bought that watch also for the bracelet but i found out it's not compatible, different sizes.

@ A: still no luck on the brace?

Nope. It's really difficult to get a decent SMP bracelet nowadays. :D