When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My current watch projects... what's yours?

cougaree

I spent last 8 months collecting parts. These are what I have so far. Hopefully I can finish these projects in the next two years.

**Please note that everything in the picture are not for sale or trade at this time.

1. Gen BCE white dial, bezel and dw. The bezel tabs are originally ss. I had them 18k gold plated from my local jewler. I may want a gen ETA 7750 for this watch, but I don't really want to give up on the serviced A7750 already inside. Maybe I will install the A7750 movement from this watch to my project #2. The hands will be relumed to match the dial.

IMG_2276c.jpg

2. Mystery BCE. I have not decided on what kind of dial I want yet. It's v3 case. The bezel is original v3 bezel but the tabs are gen. The dw is a custom rep.

IMG_2272c.jpg

3. SOH v2. The watch died three weeks after I got the watch. But that's ok. I want to install a gen ETA 2824-2 movement anyway. Relume the dial and hands are must. Hoepfully by reluming the dial dots, will fix the common rep dot issue. Gen mesh bracelet was bought to fit this watch, but I still don't know how much I will like it (it does fit my wrist like a glove, which I like). So far I don't like any other straps on it. I also bought H4 CP set, just in case if my Hamilton ETA 2824-2 movement's are short.

IMG_2281c.jpg

4. If I'm lucky and make to Chief's next run sometime in the future, I would like to get Chief AR coating for my IWC 3717 and SOH. IWC is not as bad, but the SOH has very noticeable blue hue. Both watches will benefit tremendously with Chief's AR.

5. Have my two SA serviced, maybe gen dial install, hands relumed. White baton dial is my fav.

6. Gen dial and movement install onto my IWC 3717. Current don't have any these parts.

7. I wish to get a ROO second at 12 at some point and have it serviced.

So, what your projects are like?

I love your TT white BCE cougaree, thats gonna look fabulous! Oh hell, I like all your projects above.

I'm still debating on what to do with my red bce... it needs some work.. so do I persevere with it and drop more $ into it or just move it now and be done with it? Ahhhh decisions decisions

P1020126.jpg

Thanks watchgal! I think we must have very similar taste in watches! Having all these projects open... however, is not good. I'd like to finish them all, but realistically, I probably can't. I certain don't want to be this crazy guy that has tons of hobbies and with everything in pieces.

Did you end up getting the dw from the guy I recommended you to? It's certainly your decision on how much you need to put into this watch. It really depends on how much you like it, whether or not you like to keep it for a very long time. I mean if you buy a 100% gen, it will cost you at least $3500 for a used one, and the total amount you will spend to mod yours will be much less than that.

What you have looks pretty good. I don't think anyone will notice the 60-click bezel, in fact the markers do look better than the v2/v3 120-click ones IMHO. The only thing you need to mod on yours is the dw. Once that's done, you are done.

In the mean while, you might find another case from someone who got a broken movement. Switching cases is actually very easy. There are three small screws that attach the movement, movement holder to the case, once they are unscrewed by the watchmaker, everything come out as one unit. Then you put into another case, screw in those screws... you are done. In fact, I spent more time cleaning the underside of the crystal than actually the watchmaker switching the case. Let me thinking about my mystery BCE set... maybe I can let go of it. :)

Thanks watchgal! I think we must have very similar taste in watches! Having all these projects open... however, is not good. I'd like to finish them all, but realistically, I probably can't. I certain don't want to be this crazy guy that has tons of hobbies and with everything in pieces.

Did you end up getting the dw from the guy I recommended you to? It's certainly your decision on how much you need to put into this watch. It really depends on how much you like it, whether or not you like to keep it for a very long time. I mean if you buy a 100% gen, it will cost you at least $3500 for a used one, and the total amount you will spend to mod yours will be much less than that.

What you have looks pretty good. I don't think anyone will notice the 60-click bezel, in fact the markers do look better than the v2/v3 120-click ones IMHO. The only thing you need to mod on yours is the dw. Once that's done, you are done.

In the mean while, you might find another case from someone who got a broken movement. Switching cases is actually very easy. There are three small screws that attach the movement, movement holder to the case, once they are unscrewed by the watchmaker, everything come out as one unit. Then you put into another case, screw in those screws... you are done. In fact, I spent more time cleaning the underside of the crystal than actually the watchmaker switching the case. Let me thinking about my mystery BCE set... maybe I can let go of it. :)

I did contact him for sure, he's a good guy and we've been chatting (hi if you are reading this!) I spose I'm still weighing up whether i want to keep it. I'm not wearing it but not sure why I'm not wearing it. I think its cos I have these other 2 gens that are my all time faves and I feel guilty not wearing them when they cost so much!!! My BCE attracts more attention than I probably like too, and helloooo as if I wouldnt have known that the whole watch is bright red and very shiny :bicycle:

The answers will come to me, I'm sure of it!

:)

Yep, the guy is pretty nice. I got one of his date wheels, it looks very decent (the one next to my mystery BCE). If you use SS bracelet instead of the red leather strap, you may tune down a little bit of that red. Putting on different straps/bracelet can make the watch look different. I bought my Skyland a year ago on rubber, but I rarely found myself wearing it, until I switched to ss bracelet. So... it's something to think about I guess.

Projects?...hmmm....

Just picked up another v1 ss CA...(Mike is cringing - my partner in the Avenger Lab)...so perhaps another fantasy Avenger franken or Skyland hybrid...the simplicity of the CA bezel with the skyland dial tones down the look...highlights the dial better...

Psst...the v1 ss CA has a bezel that can be removed - with the right watchsmith and tools - giving you the ability to AR the crystal...

Both my CA pieces are chief'd...

Having my v1 black Arabic Navi chief's and a new 4.5 eta dw...

Still very much pondering pvd'ing a black dial swiss fish - now this would be cool...

Other than these Breit projects, ready to assemble my Tudor Chrono w/ gen dial...and still messing with misc PAM builds...

Never a dull moment...

I have the same SOH project on the go. Just waiting for the Zigmeister to open up shop again for the lume work. :) If you find you don't like the gen mesh let me know. I'd pick it up in a heartbeat ;)

I also have a ExpII with a movement that needs service and a dial that needs some touch up work. Also on the bench is a Milgauss that needs a complete case & bracelet refinish plus a movement service.

Overall not too many on the go but my time is limited so it is difficult to make progress. That white TT BCE is going to look great!

@hackR: Those are some nice ideas for modding! Good luck on them! DLC'd fish would be cool, even it's not accurate.

@krpster: Yep, mine is on the line for the Zigmeister workshop too. Let me rethink about the bracelet. Some days I do want to get ride of it, some days I don't. I have not used it ever. It's still brand new. Good luck on your Rollie projects. They will look nice when you are done. Thanks for the compliment on my TT BCE. I hope it will turn out good after Zigmeister's magic touch. Now, I just need to decided whether or not dropping a gen ETA 7750 movement in.

Have others transplanted 2824 eta movement into the soh?...a straight drop-in or are there other considerations?

My blue soh is on 4mm mesh...it's wierd - my first thought was that it would make the watch look too "rich" and/or "formal"...but it doesn't...I love the look and wear it casually...its a nice statement watch...

Customizing Breits, like a pvd coating, actually lends itself to legitimizing the rep...only aficionados would do that; albeit invalidating a gen warranty...either way, its unique...

My Blackbird with blue X-lume is sharp and unique...

Nice projects...

I think it should be ok dropping the gen ETA 2824-2 movement in. I had similar rep movement in my fish before I dropped a ETA 2824-2 movement in, no problem. The only thing I'd like to say though. Gen ETA 2824-2 comes in many different CP heights. Sometimes the ones we buy (say standard height of H3) is not tall enough to be used in our watches. If this happens, you will need at least H4 hour and second wheels and taller cp for the minute hand (see pic). These parts can be bought for about a little over $20.

HackR, I like to see customized breitling, but I currently don't have the guts to do any of mine yet. Maybe later? Your blackbird is nice, maybe it should be DLC'd. That way, it will be truly a black bird. What do you think?