When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1950 Fiddy problem

ilyailya

hi, I have purchased a 1950 fiddy from one of the sellers on repgeek . Just got the watch . It looks great, but the movement is not working. When I try to wind it, it feels like its fully wound.

What should I do? Is it an easy fix? Previous owner said it might be gummed up oil. (watch was lubed and regulated)

thank you

If it is the one I am thinking about, send it back to him and get your $$ back!

I don't want to end up w/o a watch nor the $. He is a trusted seller on repgeek, but still taking a chance. I feel like i deserve a partial refund? I paid about 470 for this version.

I dont have pictures of it right now. but it is the engraved correct swiss version.

thanks

i know which fiddy this is.. since i owned it before it went to the RG member who sold it to you..

i honestly find it odd that the movement has died on you, considering when i bought it, it was advertised as having been serviced and regulated by Rex. and the entire time i had it (say 3-4 months), it kept good time and was buttery smooth.

i'd kick up a fuss if i were you, but my guess is that it's prob not difficult nor costly for a competent rep friendly watchsmith to repair considering it's a standard 6497 movement. so if you really don't want to part with the watch, take it to a watchsmith you know and let them assess what the problem is.

I think you should take it back to the guy who you got it from. I wouldn't really say it's a trusted seller. He was buying and reselling by jacking up the price by couple of hundred bucks. In fact it took him a while to sell this one cuz he got called out many times. You should have done you research first..

Anyways, I had this watch form Burnz and it was working like new when I had it. I'm not sure what the previous owner did but if I were you I should ask him what happened or send it back and get your refund.

I think you should take it back to the guy who you got it from. I wouldn't really say it's a trusted seller. He was buying and reselling by jacking up the price by couple of hundred bucks. In fact it took him a while to sell this one cuz he got called out many times. You should have done you research first..

Anyways, I had this watch form Burnz and it was working like new when I had it. I'm not sure what the previous owner did but if I were you I should ask him what happened or send it back and get your refund.

So you saying it was not worth the $ I paid for it? I just gave it to a shop to have it serviced. Hopefully i dont have to pay too much. So far they saying that it stops for some reason after cleaning.

He had a decent feedback on the site, so i figured he would be ok to deal with. You always take a chance online i guess.

thanks for the replies guys. I will keep every one posted once I get it repaired and take some pictures.

• 1 month later...

Ok FINALLY got my watch from a friend watch repairman . He said that some one oiled it with wrong oil and it gummed up. So he fixed that and it runs great now. Seller offered to help with bill too. SO all is good.

thanks for all the info.

Ilya sorry pictures are not great.

post-29094-012374700 1285719640.jpg

post-29094-065209800 1285719655.jpg

Edited by ilyailya

Straight up G! As a matter of fact, it might have been sold at least once and returned for the same reason... :bicycle:

Now I know the one you mean!!!!

Glad you got it sorted mate, of course thats the problem when using olive oil every reputable person worth his salt knows you need to use the Extra Extra Virgin olive oil when oiling your movement !!!!!

Glad you got it sorted mate, of course thats the problem when using olive oil every reputable person worth his salt knows you need to use the Extra Extra Virgin olive oil when oiling your movement !!!!!

:thumbsupsmileyanim::rofl::lol: You're da man!

Pete always makes me laugh! :D

watch smith says they cleaned it few times, watch runs but then stops. Does not know why. Another person will take a look at it tomorrow.

basically another 79 bux gone and watch is not running . Contacted seller, will see what he says.

thanks guys.

who was this? i would avoid that guy in the future

I like the watch, it looks mint, not a scratch, the leather strap is HUGE. (my wrist is pretty small) but I think the watch is still a keeper. Keeps excellent time . (and looks fairly close to gen) has swiss eta movement.

Now i own a theorema skeleton , pam 001 rep i bought like 4-5 years ago . a two tone navitimer ( really nice looking automatic watch even thought not super accurate ). and a gshock i wear to work.

thanks for info

ilya