When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My next purchase

Arthur1

Hi guys,

In the hunt for my next purchase after my Bre SuperOcean from lufcmattylad.

I have narrowed it down to these two:

http://www.watcheden.com/zenith-el-primero-fondroyante-1-10th-of-a-second-working-chronograph-with-silver-dial-leather-strap-i-56215-p-1.html

or

http://www.watcheden.com/panerai-luminor-marina-unitas-6497-movement-with-black-dial-s-s-lefty-version-i-56004-p-1.html

Thoughts/experiences/alternatives welcomed.

Ideally would be going for a Tudor Monty on the retro grand prix feel but the Zenith may fill that gap for a while. The pam would make a nice compliment to my Ploprof. How does the new style bracelet look in the flesh?

You don't see many Zenith's in the wild, so maybe go that direction. Seems like it will be a good budget/compromise and be reliable with the quartz movement. This would be a good grab-n-go worry free chrono.

IMHO the cheaper PAM reps are, well, cheaper. I consider DSN the starting point for a PAM Rep.

IMHO the cheaper PAM reps are, well, cheaper. I consider DSN the starting point for a PAM Rep.

Yep, DSN should be the way to start of the cartel auto ultimates.

All these <$350 PAMs look like Canal St. junk. I'd stay away from it (CG, AR, crystal, canon pin, crown, dial, lume, bracelet - all bad).

The closest Panerai model would be the PAM115 but the movement would be incorrect, the dial is incorrect, the bracelet (should be a leather strap) is incorrect, the crown guard is incorrect.

Plus when you actually see it in person they look cheap (the AR being the worst part). Like I said, these kind of watches feel/look like Canal St. stuff.

As for the movement, the 6497 is a workhorse. Easy to replace if necessary as well.

I know nothing about Zeniths so I can't comment. I don't get quartz models but that's just a personal opinion.

Glad you liked the SuperOcean Arthur1

Interesting choices. I went through a Zenith phase once - but I couldnt make my mind up on a model to go for. Now im completely off them :-)

For Pams, everything said above is true. The AR is shocking and there are incorrect features as compared to the gen, which might make you think twice if getting a rep close as possible to the gen is your thing (it is for most of us!). The DSN is the best choice, but I see you are looking to pay at the lower end. In this case, why not try out the lefty pam from the link? - you may love it. You'll get an idea of what your money can buy and might want to upgrade in the future.

try it out and see - good luck

as for me, ive been deciding for months what my next rep should be... It'll either be a SINN U1 (eta), DSN PAM 111, or EBEL BTR 137 (I've trialled the quartz - nows the time for the upgrade to A7750)

Thanks for the input guys. I think however I'm going to go against the grain and go for the Pam. Not wearing anything with a leather band at the mo and also had a few battery changes so that's put me off quartz. So the manual wind on steel gets the nod.

Has any one had experience with the same bracelet or have a wrist shot? Definitely prefer this to the old style pam bracelet.

Will update when it lands.