When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

316L or 316F dssd

the dude abides

Even a simple rub with Cape Cod and a quick wash will make dull 316L white and bright. The most practical conclusion is that without a lab analysis of BOTH watch cases and bracelets, it's all up to the eye of the beholder.

Beware of the Emperor's New Clothes ... such a human trap to fall into.

Ok.what is the L and the F stand for??

I did not know that there where difference's other than grade 304 and so fourth.

Thanks

Ok.what is the L and the F stand for??

I did not know that there where difference's other than grade 304 and so fourth.

Thanks

Different grades of 316 .. that's all. 316L has more molybdenum in it, and theoretically is slightly darker.

The trouble here is that in China, steel factories commonly lie about what they are selling you. Beyond that, our "316L" watches commonly have a 440ss caseback .. soooo .. why trust what anyone says about steel color and content? There are too many lies in the supply chain to accept anything at face value, especially where YOUR money is involved.

Even a simple rub with Cape Cod and a quick wash will make dull 316L white and bright. The most practical conclusion is that without a lab analysis of BOTH watch cases and bracelets, it's all up to the eye of the beholder.

Beware of the Emperor's New Clothes ... such a human trap to fall into.

it's as simple as holding both versions in your hands. You can definitely see the difference. Even if you're an avid capecod user like me and jkay... my 316f dssd was noticeably brighter than my 316L dssd. Obviously its difficult to tell with all the photos here.. but to see both watches next to eachother in your hands tells you that there is an obvious difference in the type of steel used.

Whether or not the steel is truly 316f or not is another question.. but visually the difference can be seen when physically compared side by side.

Yes, I will add that I have never held a newer "316f" model watch next to an older model. here, tho, is my Cape Cod cloth after one use on a clean watch ... there is a lot more black oxidation on your watch than you think.

Both sides are black

post-22602-082043700 1281649290.jpg

Yes, I will add that I have never held a newer "316f" model watch next to an older model. here, tho, is my Cape Cod cloth after one use on a clean watch ... there is a lot more black oxidation on your watch than you think.

Both sides are black

post-22602-082043700 1281649290.jpg

ps. The blackness on the capecod cloth has nothing to do with how "clean/unclean or oxidized" your watch is. You could take this cloth to a stainless steel pot straight out of the factory and stil get the cloth pitch black. It's a chemical reaction caused by mineral oils in the cloth reacting with the steel. Take a cape cod cloth to a high polished brand new fork.. and you'll see the same amuont of blackness as if you had taken the cloth to a 40 year old vintage rolex... ;)