When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Weight Of Our Reps...

ahchard

We all rave about how nice and heavy our reps are... I have 2 reps which I find quite heavy, the tag link senna and my pam 029... however... I am just wondering... are the gens this heavy as well? Just that sometimes it feels a bit too heavy... I have handled a few gens and most gens are a good weight and feel comfortable on the wrist... I have a very old gen tag and it is not that heavy as well... feels just right on the wrist.

rolex reps seem to be lighter.... i have a daytona which feels alright...

I thought i would see if anyone felt the same way cos i am getting some kind of skin irritation at the back of my hand where the crown keeps touching the back of my hand... and also on my wrist where the back of the watch sits... getting some kind of rash... i guess cos the watch is a bit too heavy?

I can't answer your question about the weight, but I get a similar rash, and it is due to the nickel content of the stainless steel used. Throughout the summer I have been wearing titanium watches. That's why I'm hoping the PAM194 comes out in titanium.

You may want to try titanium and see how it is, otherwise get tested for allergies.

:g:

I'm serious, I haven't been wearing SS watches most of the summer :(

Someone had the solution to coat the caseback with clear nail varnish, but I just switched to titanium in the mean time. :bounce:

I guess I just need to give my wrist a rest sometimes.... can't wear my reps everyday anymore... but my gen tag is sooo tiny now I have tried these big watches... its one of those medium sized tags...

I guess it can be my healing watch.... wear it when i start getting rashes...

damn... need to save up to buy another gen now... or as you say a titanium rep...

If some of you with sensitive skin are having allergic reactions to SS reps something is wrong. I see advertised 316L Stainless steel on a lot of reps. If a watch is truly 316L you shouldn't have any reaction. This is surgical quality steel. I have had reactions before to very cheap waqtches that were brass coated with steel. My mom has very sensitive skin and she wears a SS pearlmaster with no affects. Try wearing only 316 SS and see if that helps.

On the weight question the answer is it varies immensely as to differentiation between rep and gen. Even with versions of reps. The first gen 7753 196 is incredibly close in weight to the gen (de facto the second gen will be very light). On the other hand the Breitling Chrono Avenger in ti is heavier than the gen. Beyond case material and sizing there are bracelet issues (often the weak link in bracelet reps) and whether you are using the same movement in the rep will make a large difference as well. :)

I can't answer your question about the weight, but I get a similar rash, and it is due to the nickel content of the stainless steel used. Throughout the summer I have been wearing titanium watches. That's why I'm hoping the PAM194 comes out in titanium.

You may want to try titanium and see how it is, otherwise get tested for allergies.

:g:

This is likely if you are allergic to nickel (see http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_dise...l_allergy.html) and likely they are using low quality steel. It is too soft for 316 (typicaly advertised), hence it could be high in nickel indeed.

If some of you with sensitive skin are having allergic reactions to SS reps something is wrong. I see advertised 316L Stainless steel on a lot of reps. If a watch is truly 316L you shouldn't have any reaction. This is surgical quality steel. I have had reactions before to very cheap waqtches that were brass coated with steel. My mom has very sensitive skin and she wears a SS pearlmaster with no affects. Try wearing only 316 SS and see if that helps.

Surgical is 420, and this would be nice for a watch. It is nice combo of hardness and eleasticity along with decent rus-resistance.

A lot of my reps seem awfully heavy, I'm sure they're heavier than the gens.

As for your rash, after I began to wear my first 44mm Pam, I noticed an irritation on the top of my hand where the crown guard edge was pressing against the skin and leaving a red mark. It definately wasn't an allergic reaction. Now I just wear the Pam one day at a time.

Perhaps your situation is one of wear and postion of the watch on wrist also?