When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help! my 063 got wet

panerai153

I took my 063 out of my watchbox in my safe yesterday and immediately the crystal fogged. I put it in a sealed jar with some dissicant material immediately with the crown all the way out. unfortunately this morning it looks about the same. I took the back off a little while ago, and there is definitely water inside. Not like it was running out, but droplets on the caseback as well as fog on the crystal. I put it back in the dissicant jar with the back off, but I'm pretty worried about permanent damage. It's running, but I don't know for how long. Anyone have any further suggestions. I would pack it up and send it up to The Zigmeister but he's still off and all I get is an automated response from his email server. i don't have the skills or the tools to tear it down. I'm sure the movement will need to be serviced and relubricated at the least.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

Ughh, I hate seeing a foggy crystal, has happened quite a few times on a few of my gens in the past.

All I can add, is perhaps put some loose silica gel packets (after charging in the oven) into the jar as well. Maybe that will help suck out the moisture.

The dissicant is inside a metal container, looks like little beads inside. I put it in the oven (The dissicant container) last night for 2 hours @ 265 degrees which is what I read on the internet for recharging the drying agent. I'll check it in the morning and see whats happening.

Thanks

If you're concerned about the dessicant, buy a tub of Damp-Rid at Target. Much better than regular silica dessicant at absorbing water. Comes in sealed packets so you don't have to worry about contaminating the watch.

Here's what works for me. Get a packet of Damp-Rid and a tupperware container about 2x the size of the packet. Place the watch and Damp-Rid in the Tupperware with Damp-Rid on bottom and watch upside down with case back unscrewed but siting on it. Seal the Tupperware up. The Tupperware limits the amount of humidity the Damp-Rid must remove fro the air, which will collect below the packet if it collects at all.

Place the whole thing in your car and park it outside in the sun. It should get pretty hot, which speeds up the process. Here in Dallas it may get hotter than the sun.

This dried out my old 112 which fell into icewater without the case back.

Thanks very much for all the info. It looks like it's going to be OK. I took the caseback off and wiped the moisture off the inside of the caseback and spacer ring. i put it back in the jar with the container of dissicant, re sealed it and put it on a windowsill in sun. I left it for 2 days. Took it out lasst night and every bit of moisture is gone from under the crystal and inside where I can see. I re greased the o-ring and put the caseback on. I will still send it off to get the movement looked at,as there could be moisture still inside.