When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So, the Defy is a flop?

strattakan

• 3 weeks later...

The reason is that Zenith since late last year stopped producing the Defy and the Defy Xtreme, as they are going back to vintage style watches. This happened when the new CEO Dufour took over after Nataf left last year. All the Gen Xtreme's are going for 66% off retail on EBAY now. Prowroth.com bought the entire ramining stock from Zenith in Switzerland. I just bought 2 gens, a Zenith defy classic in 18K/SS and a Zenith elite xtreme in SS/kevlar.

I have always liked the Defey and I will now get one because there just over $300.00 The real reason I think people dont buy the rep Is because they dont care for the design. The gens are still going for between $7000-8000.00,not a cheep watch. I personaly love the design and the different materials that make up the watch, but I did not want to pay around $500.00 for a rep. :nea:

I have to applaud Zenith for a bold design, but it just looks too convoluted to justify a $7000 pricetag. It would have been cool to see them continue this line with more bold designs each year. Maybe after a few tries they'd find the right formula and really give us something to save up for.

There Is a video on youtube of this rep by watchcollectorHK. Everyone thought Is was a gen until I pointed out that It was rep. It Is one very well made rep,very good quailty. Im ording mine soon,maybe this week :thumbsupsmileyanim:

One fact that most people do not know is that Swatch Group (ETA) produces over a million Valjoux 7750's per year. Since 1969 (the year the Zenith El Primero movement came out), including the supply to Rolex, in pre 2001 Daytonas, and Panerai, and other brands like Concord, they have only produced 600,000 movements (appox.) in total! So when you say $7,000 for a watch where the movement takes almost a year to make is too much, I have to respectfully disagree. That is ofcourse if we are comaparing to IWC or Panerai and other brands also in the same price range. They make every component themself, and I recently met the new Preisdent of the USA, at a inside basel (sponsored by WatchTime magazine)event here in Los Angeles, as they were displaying thier new line of vintage looking timepieces. Having 4 gen Zeniths in my collection (Grande class in Rose gold, 2 Zenith Defy classics in 18K/ss, and a Zenith Defy elite xtreme) I can honestly say they are the best quality I have ever owned. For referance, I have traded about $400,000 in gen watches on EBAY the past 10 years. I have had almost 15 differant brands in my possession at one time or another, like a Panerai 250, Rolex Deepsea (which I have now), Girrard Perregaux, IWC, and many others. When looking through a 10X loupe for fit and finish I have yet to see a spectle of dust on any Zenith I have had, on the dials or the hands. The hands are always dust and mark free, and the finish is incredible. The presentation box puts many other comapanies to shame. It is one of the most under rated brands out there. I think, now that the reps are on clearence, they are a screaming buy, if only that they may not make the reps since thier is hardly any demand anymore, and especially now that they are discontinued.

One fact that most people do not know is that Swatch Group (ETA) produces over a million Valjoux 7750's per year. Since 1969 (the year the Zenith El Primero movement came out), including the supply to Rolex, in pre 2001 Daytonas, and Panerai, and other brands like Concord, they have only produced 600,000 movements (appox.) in total! So when you say $7,000 for a watch where the movement takes almost a year to make is too much, I have to respectfully disagree. That is ofcourse if we are comaparing to IWC or Panerai and other brands also in the same price range. They make every component themself, and I recently met the new Preisdent of the USA, at a inside basel (sponsored by WatchTime magazine)event here in Los Angeles, as they were displaying thier new line of vintage looking timepieces. Having 4 gen Zeniths in my collection (Grande class in Rose gold, 2 Zenith Defy classics in 18K/ss, and a Zenith Defy elite xtreme) I can honestly say they are the best quality I have ever owned. For referance, I have traded about $400,000 in gen watches on EBAY the past 10 years. I have had almost 15 differant brands in my possession at one time or another, like a Panerai 250, Rolex Deepsea (which I have now), Girrard Perregaux, IWC, and many others. When looking through a 10X loupe for fit and finish I have yet to see a spectle of dust on any Zenith I have had, on the dials or the hands. The hands are always dust and mark free, and the finish is incredible. The presentation box puts many other comapanies to shame. It is one of the most under rated brands out there. I think, now that the reps are on clearence, they are a screaming buy, if only that they may not make the reps since thier is hardly any demand anymore, and especially now that they are discontinued.

Interesting point of view. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The Defy video I saw had the chrono second hand jumping around a kid at a rave... :wounded1: Ok maybe it wasn't that bad lol.

http://www.youtube.com/user/watchcollecterhk#p/u/59/i7ufhHXJP0k

I must have watched this video ten or more times over the last three months. I have never noticed any problems with the second hand or the chrono(stopwatch) hand. I watched It a again and I still dont see any Issues with the hands jumping around like a kid at a rave :punk: Maybe someone else will jump In with there opinion on the video