When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which Watch?

Basil Ransom

Hi,

I'm looking to get a watch, and I have a very firm idea of what it should look like, yet I've yet to find one that suits my taste. Here goes:

Face: Round

Dial: Black

Lettering: Roman Numeral

Bezel: Thin, Delicate

Hands: Hours and minutes only. The thinner the better

Lettering and bezel in gold or gold plate.

No complications, extra dials or dates.

No minute marks, only numerals (preferably all XII, perhaps just I, III, VI, IX). A navy or charcoal dial might be acceptable, but those are even rarer. I intend to wear grosgrain straps with it, so it should accommodate that. A spare but not minimalist aesthetic, in short.

I don't care about movements, components, or branding, just a watch that fits the criteria above and keeps time.

The most ideal watch I found is Ole Mathiesen, albeit a composite of two of their models:

35617.64C731E5.jpg

35617.0894D6B0.jpg

My ideal watch looks like the black dial Mathiesen, with the roman numerals of the white face one in gold overlaid.

I found some Calatrava replicas on dodgy sites, but did not see them among the sites listed in the Links section:

pp-61-face.jpg

patek-calatrava-05.jpg

That first Patek is extremely close to perfect (that second dial is holding it back), but I've yet to find it on a reputable replica site.

Let me know if you can find that Patek, or know of a similar, suitable watch.