When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Catch-style springbars

Migge

Hi everyone,

I am intersted in knowing how a catch-style spring bar works, and if a special leather strap is required or not? Or any modification to the existing leather strap is required?

Who better to ask then the paneristas who are the most frequent strap changers... Take a look at the link too see what springbars I am talking about.

Click me

Any feedback is appreciated. Please share your experience.

Cheers

Mike

These are similar to the patek style spring bars and need a special strap, or you can mod the strap you want to use

Have no experience wuth patek style spring bars unfortunately.

Mod the strap would be an option for sure, but how do they work. Is the "catch" removable, so you i.e can put in the springbar in the strap and re-install the "catch" in an for example drilled hole in the strap?

thanks andy

Far as I know, the strap has to be made for these. This is a quick release spring bar found on many watches. Usually, this spring bar is a permanent fixture of the strap.

Blackbard, I had theese style springbars on a couple of hirsch straps (Mounted from the beginning offcourse)

Allthough, I think there must be a way of mounting theese on ordinary straps as well, if I only new how the "catch" is attached that would be a massive help.

Making a cut-out for the springbar (In the leater strap) should help if the catch is mounted so it can be detached and re-attached.

Mike

I just sold a watch with these. I'll check to see if I have any straps like this lying around. Easiest way to attach would be to cut a "groove" carefully in one end of the strap where it attaches to the watch. You could then insert the quick release springbar. Only issue would be the integrity of the strap once this is done unless you can cut the groove without going all the way to the end and still fit the spring bar in...

Good luck!

I'm not sure how deep these springbars extend into the lug holes in the case, but I would be aware that over time they could very well "bugger" up the threads on your PAM case. If this happens, your up the proverbial creek, should you decide to go back to the conventional PAM screw in bars.