When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any Cisco IOS experts here?

redwatch

Got a Cisco 831 router that was programmed for another use and I need to do a factory reset on it. I restarted it using the standard config file and also did a complete erase nvram but it still won't work as a DHCP router.

Anyone that can help me out with this? (I don't really need to use this, but now that I have started playing with it, I want to conquer it :D )

If you mean as a DHCP Server try this:

ip dhcp pool 2

import all

network 192.150.2.0 255.255.255.0

domain-name devtest.com

default-router 192.150.2.100

lease 0 0 3

interface Ethernet0

ip address 192.150.2.100 255.255.255.0

ip nat inside

Or from the manual:

ip dhcp excluded-address 10.10.10.1

ip dhcp pool SERVER

network 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.0

default-router 10.10.10.1

import all

Sweet! Thanks Ronin!! :thumbsupsmileyanim: That looks much better than some of the code examples I found on the forums. First off, its the first one that has mention of DHCP pool. There were a few examples that mentioned DHCP, but nothing about the pool settings or anything.

Also, once I have DHCP up and running, and before I get to far with this, will this router work with PPPoE?

Wow Ronin! That manual is amazing! I have every piece of documentation that came with this thing, sealed in the original bags. Of course, there is no manual like the one you posted. All I have is the basic settings in the Quick Start Guide which states to use the Cisco Router Web Setup

Any chance you can walk me through upgrade the IOS on this? I have the latest release that was issued on Aug 24th, 2010 - c831-k9o3sy6-mz.124-25d.bin

I was able to activate an IP address on the router, and I am able to assign a static IP on the PC and connect to the router. I was unable to run the web interface as I keep getting a Java error. I noticed the IOS ver was really old (around 2005) so my friend sent me the latest bin file. I loaded Free TFTP, put the file in the root folder and assigned the server IP address. I can ping the router just fine, but the router is unable to find the file on the TFTP server for some reason.

Any suggestions you may have would be really helpful! I'm not giving up on this thing yet :D