When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

On A Skeleton Movement,

chris5264

I've been working on a skeletonized 6497, everything seems perfect except I cannot get the hour wheel to stay put. Typically, the dial holds this down but what holds it down in a skeletonized movement? I posted this on the watch repair section on timezone and the reply was that the min hand typically holds this down. I cannot get this to work. Either the min hand is not pushed down far enough, and if I turn the movement over the hour wheel falls just enough to move into another position or if I push the min hand far enough down, the timing is affected. There are dozens of examples of the 6497 in skeleton form, there must be a good solution to this. Thanks.

i cut a piece of an extra keyless works cover i had on my 2892 skeleton. "forks" around the hour wheel and screwed into the keyless cover. works great! you will have to get creative and fabricate a piece.

Interesting. I should have read your post on your omega project more carefully. I looked at your posted pictures but couldn't find this on the movement. I don't mind getting a little creative, but these types of watches have been around for so long, there must be a "typical" solution. I've seen and even have a skeletonized 6497 and this is solved by some other means. It is something with how the hands are set.

Have you considered the clear dial I mentioned in your other thread?

Yes, if you look at benzinger watches (they seem to be the experts at the skeleton 6497), they do have at least one that uses this solution. It would be a good solution, now I just need to find a thin plastic dial which seems very realistic to find. However, I tried something else this morning. I put a "cap" on the hour wheel by cutting off the center of another min hand. I filed it down very thin and made sure it wasn't touching the hour wheel. Still the timing seems affected. I'm starting to think I need to have the movement looked at and perhaps the timing is just off on this.