When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

blaahhh. So torn: VAC088 or VAC089

asf

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which should I get?

• PAM088
    • PAM089

Im looking into doing this huge purchase and trying to see which would be better, the PAM088 or PAM089. Are the 089's anthracite rep dials even close looking? Id rather have a brushed case, but the other gmt models are kinda meh :thumbdown:

plus I'd like to be able to put on a bracelet in the future. Do the titanium cases look funny with full SS bracelets on them?

any help?

I've had both. The 88 silver dial bugs me a little, too, because it kind of clashes with the shiny SS case. And it's hard to get the right shade of silver. The 89 dial, with the cool vertical anthracite pattern, is more interesting. And the black subdial just goes better IMHO. It's a much more subdued and elegant look. I kept the 89 and sold the 88.

On the other hand, when Vac lumed my 89, I had him use more C1 than the gen. The gen lume really pops out on the anthracite dial - looks bright slime green. I don't care for it. The gen lume on the 88's black dial doesn't do that as bad.

The 29 is nice, but I've only seen two reps with the correct number font on the bezel. The gen bezel numbers are very stretched horizontally -wide numbers. The reps aren't. If that doesn't bug you, then it's a good choice.

The silver sub-dial does bother some people and with gen sub-dial color being anywhere between DSN's and cartel's it's not a straightforward pick for some people.

The problem with 089 is the CG, without any viable option out there that's close enough to gen except by going gen (DSN's cg is closest in thickness but shape still falls short).

I'd pick a 088 based on the ultimate from van. It's damn classy as hell for a GMT watch and is more formal looking than the 089. I had my 088 from vac and my friend literally begged me to sell it to him, so I did and am raising fund again to have vac rebuild another one for me :thumbsupsmileyanim:

If you need an 089, get both :clapping:

I prefer more the PAM088! I'm not into titanium cases, to light and noisy with a swanneck movement! (but not in your case)!

I love the silver subdial! ;)

But hey the decision is al yours mate!

I just ordered a VAC PAM111H full modded! should be shipped out this thursday! :)

The 89 does not have a swanneck. It hass an A7750. It is both heavier and quieter than the Ti handwinds I've had.

If well serviced, the A7750 in an 89 should be much quieter than an SS with a 6497, particularly an A6497 with a display back.

The CG thing is an issue,though. I found a nice cartel ultimate CG that I converted with substantial mods into a very good A-F CG (mine is an 89e). But there truly are not a lot of good Ti CG options.

• 2 weeks later...