When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MBW 5513 franken

Gabus

I have a MBW 5513 and some of the gen parts ( insert, crown, crystal ) for an interesting project. I can buy a good running 1520. Will the 1520 fit in the MBW case? Make more sense to by a Yuki case? I'm usually against this kind of project because it ends up costing almost as much as buying a gen but I'm still intrigued.

Edited by Gabus

Where there is a will, there is a way.

My 1665 & 5514 MBWs both came fitted with an ETA 2846, which I swapped-out for a 1575 & a 1520, respectively. Requires a bit of work (though less than some of my DWs :whistling: ), but it can be done. At least, with these older MBWs (the most recent of which is 4+ years old).

rolexsubtrio010vskin1.jpg

(In case you did not know, the 5514 is just a 5513 with the addition of a helium valve installed in the side of the case at 9 o'clock)

There are a couple of threads describing the work involved that you can search out in the Rolex forum.

A 1520 is not a direct drop in to a case holding a 2836/2846. The 1520 sits roughly 1mm closer on the dial side than a 2836, and hence the stem does not line up center. This I learned from first hand experience building my 5514.

I was originally going to use this MBW case, which was drilled for an HeV:

IMG_5205.jpg

When the movement didn't fit, I ended up using a Phong case specifically for a 1520:

IMG_5169.jpg

I then fit the old MBW case with a 2783 and gave it to watchmeister as a gift.

You can probably get a 1520 to fit by installing the date retention ring from a 1570, but you'd need to add the taller pinion and hour wheel for the hands to fit and clear appropriately. However, because of the physical differences between the movements, the gen movment is not a drop in solution.

Gabus-

I believe there are some MBW 5513s fitted with 2824 ETAs floating about; if you can get a hold of one of those, that case should accept the 1520.

The donor that I pulled my 1520 was retrofitted with a 2824 and a yuki gilt 5500 dial. So, I know that the 1520 and 2824 share the same stem height toward the dial side :)

IMG_3315.jpg

IMG_3558.jpg

If you're going to stay ETA, you can also swap in a 284 or 2783 if you want a slower beat rate.

Hope this helps!

//ubi