When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What Is The Normal Life Expectantcy For A Rep?

I've had my rep for 3 yrs now and it looks and runs as perfectly today as the first day I got it....is this a rare thing or have any of ya'll found that your reps have held up over the years just as well also?

Thanks for for any replies.... :rolleyes:

I have an asian Rolex Submariner bought 12 years ago in Bangkok (Patpong market) that is still ticking <10 sec. a day without having a service. :3a:

BTW I paid 15 guilders for it then, that's about 7 Euros now :lol:

Edited by bigmouth

I have an asian Rolex Submariner bought 12 years ago in Bangkok (Patpong market) that is still ticking <10 sec. a day without having a service. :3a:

BTW I paid 15 guilders for it then, that's about 7 Euros now :lol:

Never had a problem with any ETA based watches. Asia 7750 is another story...the life expentancy varies and is mostly luck of the draw for some...My experience with them was less than 1 week in both cases...that's why I'd never buy Asian 7750 based reps...(*though that IWC Portugieser line is soooo nice)

Just my 2 cents... :victory:

Alex

Man...I can't agree with you more!

I've had headache after headache dealing with Rolex. Since 1985 I've had seven Rolies...3 brand new and the others used. The worst was a 1994 sub, brand new, leak while diving in 40 ft of salt water...a bad crystal gasket. :yuk:

I've sold them all with out regret over the past few years :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Now I can say that my collection of Rolex reps gives me NO problems. Paul and Joshua's pieces.

I've learned to work movements and can repair, rebuild or swap out movements without problems.

A VERY fullfilling hobby! But I can't stress enough how I'd never spend that kind of money on a gen watch again.

I know a lot purists here will scoff...but a Joshua sub I modded myself with genuine tube and crown and new seals servived 210ft salt water for 22 minutes! ( I'm an avid scuba diver and put the sub in my BC pocket while taking a tri-mix check-out dive)

And ya know what, these reps are only getting better and better! :D

I've had headache after headache dealing with Rolex. Since 1985 I've had seven Rolies...3 brand new and the others used. The worst was a 1994 sub, brand new, leak while diving in 40 ft of salt water...a bad crystal gasket. :yuk:

Now I can say that my collection of Rolex reps gives me NO problems. Paul and Joshua's pieces.

I've learned to work movements and can repair, rebuild or swap out movements without problems.

A VERY fullfilling hobby! But I can't stress enough how I'd never spend that kind of money on a gen watch again.

I know a lot purists here will scoff...but a Joshua sub I modded myself with genuine tube and crown and new seals servived 210ft salt water for 22 minutes! ( I'm an avid scuba diver and put the sub in my BC pocket while taking a tri-mix check-out dive)

That's the kind of post I love to read... I vote this for a pin ! ^_^

:thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim:

I don't necessarily assume reps will last forever, or even particularly long. But if a rep lasts five years, as far as I'm concerned it's given more than enough enjoyment to justify its cost. We live in a disposable society after all. What will my PSP, iPod, laptop etc. be worth in a couple of years?

I don't necessarily assume reps will last forever, or even particularly long. But if a rep lasts five years, as far as I'm concerned it's given more than enough enjoyment to justify its cost. We live in a disposable society after all. What will my PSP, iPod, laptop etc. be worth in a couple of years?

Kanerich, I think this is a wrong analogy. The value of electronic equipment always goes down, because of new technology being introduced. The same reasoning is not valid for watches. Furthermore, the kind of watches we buy are pieces of art. If we only want to check the time so now and then a cheap Seiko watch will suffice as well.

I agree with not spending the money on a genuine (maybe buying a used one is a much better choice to save a lot of money however)....its just a bad investment all around. Its the same with diamonds. They are probably the worst investment anyone can make.

But people still believe that they are so very rare and will hold their value, (such a lie from the diamond industry), but because someone gives them an appraisal with a big amount typed on it, they actually believe they will get that much back if they ever wanted to sell it. :bangin: Its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it...and that is usually about 50% less than what you bought it for, and that is if you are lucky.

Celebrities who sell their diamonds don't even get their money back on them when they auction them off at Christy's or Sotherby's.

Thats why I got into the business I'm in. I wanted the very same look and durabilty of a diamond, but didn't want to pay the high price. I certainly didn't want to deal with cz's...they are so very cheap that the postage stamp costs more than the stone being sent in the envelope!! So take it from me....no matter what kind of fancy name is given to the cz...its still a cz...and no cz is worth $100 a carat...beware of false advertising online guys! Just a bit of advice from someone who knows.

And many, many people, like you watch collectors, are getting smart and spending a ton less money on our bling, but getting the very same look and feel as the real thing.

Unlike some reps however, my bling will last a lifetime...no need to learn how to replace any parts :Jumpy: !!!

Now when I win the Mega Millions Lottery, I will buy me a Choppard watch, a real one. And it will probably have pink diamonds in it, only because moissanite does not come in pink :cry:

Unless a really good rep of this watch comes along....then I'll have to wait for my lottery winnings to be deposited before I can get my Happy Choppard.... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

post-2511-1159282868_thumb.jpg

Edited by TheMoissaniteLady.com