When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Waterproof testing , My experiences

panerai153

Here is my 2 centavos on this. I'm a firm believer in waterproof testing. You never know when your watch is going to get wet. I live in the "boonies" so taking them to a watchmaker is pretty much out of the question. My only alternative was to buy a pressure tester. I bought a very nice one from offshore "watchbitz".

After I pressure tested all my watches , this is my conclusion: DO NOT ASSUME ANY REP IS WATERPROOF!!! Just because your fellow member has an identical model from the same seller, his may be water resistant, yours may not be. The rep shops don't have any quality control, period. Just like they throw filthy dirty and dry movements in reps, they also forget o-rings, seals get chewed up,by parts that are rough and abrasive. Case, crown attachments are suspect, and the list goes on.

Some may be water resistant to immersion in a glass of water, but won't survive a dive to the deep end of a swimming pool. Here is a list of watches I tested and where they leaked or didn't

old skool EL PAM 063 -failed leaked from crown/tube/stem

DSN PAM 24A - failed, leaked arounf Crown/tube/stem

WM9/BK v3 Rolex 16610 -passed 5 atmospheres

ETZ Rolex DSSD - failed, leaked around crystal

Euromariner/BK Rolex 16610 - passed 3 atmospheres

MBW Rolex 1680 - passed 3 atmospheres

PT Rolex 1680 - failed leaked around crystal

noobmariner Rolex 16600 - passed 3 atmospheres

UN Maxi marine Diver - failed leaked around crystal

That's the results of my watches, your identical watch from the same dealer may not test the same. I wish they were all water resistant. It would simplify things a lot. I have always wondered why you can buy lots and lots of water resistant "dive" watches for around the same price as a high end rep, but the rep makers obviously don't need to make them water resistant, because we keep buying them anyway.

What I've learned from this is don't assume anything, and don't trust the rep builders to tell you the truth. In their listings, practically every watch is water resistant to at least 5 atmospheres, that's just part of the sales pitch, they aren't tested at all, unless you pay extra to the sellers. the biggest laugher of all are the ones that claim 100-200 atmospheres. That's pure BS.unless you are prepared to spend time and money on a repair bill, I would recommend having every one tested before you put them in the water.

Hey A, so you are happy with your Waterproof tester? I've been meaning to pick one up, but it's so damn expensive to ship it over here.

Red,

I really like mine. As I said, if I had a watchmaker close by that would test my watches for 5 bucks a shot like ubi has, I wouldn't have spent the money.

Talk to offshore, he sold me mine, and the shipping wwasn't too bad, and that was Australia to Mississippi.

the only thing about mine, and I believe most are like this, the release valve has a short rounded release stem. It's very difficult to release the pressure evenly until you get the hang of it. i would much prefer some type of bleed valve that screws in and out, but that's not the case, so I have got to use it like I got it.