When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM55 with a twist

ubiquitous

This story began just a few months back, when w0lf posted about his PAM40 project. I had always looked at Ti PAMs with a fleeting glance, but this particular example with it's FGD dial and contrasting indicies with the dark Ti case really stood out and caused me to stop and take notice. I was smitten. Since then, I expressed my fascination to Mr. w0lf regarding his PAM40, and w0lf being a good friend and generous soul helped me find a rather elusive Ti Panerai case. I have no idea what case this is, where it came from, or what version it is; but w0lf knew exactly what to look for, and apparently he knows what the good stuff is!

IMG_7480.jpg

IMG_7483.jpg

IMG_7493.jpg

IMG_7499.jpg

The plan initially was to do a PAM40 as well. So, very briefly, the watch was configured in a rough draft as such:

IMG_7534.jpg

However, as I was looking at my current pair of Panerai, I noticed that my Pre-A 002 had a rather interesting dial. This particular dial is a v2 FGD that started off as black, but had turned a chocolate brown in tone over time. It's really only apparent in certain angles and light, but it's definitely there. An interesting anomaly? The surface of the dial is uncoated and unsprayed; no matte varnish or clear coating.

IMG_7834.jpg

So, for something a little interesting, I transplanted the guts from my Jimmy case to the new Ti case. I think the new combination is quite nice ^_^

IMG_7960.jpg

IMG_7839.jpg

And in indirect lighting, the surface still looks black:

IMG_7933.jpg

Some details-

Shallow rehaut...

IMG_7874.jpg

Small strap notch...

IMG_7940.jpg

Nice lugs...

IMG_7931.jpg

T-48 crown...

IMG_7929.jpg

Dirk strap with logo PVD buckle and some patina...

IMG_7875.jpg

IMG_7878.jpg

IMG_7880.jpg

From what I understand, there is ONE (1!) gen 55C with Pre-A dial that was made for an SIHH show some years back. The interesting thing with that particular piece is how much of a striking resemblance the gen's dial has with FGD's dial. It's quite similar with the dial font, the shape and size of the indicies... Even the T-SWISS-T looks very similar.

Hmmmmm....

I still need to sort out a proper case back on this one and fit some H2 pinions. But for now, it's at a state that I can wear and enjoy...

IMG_7964.jpg

^_^

Now I have to rebuild my Pre-A...

Thanks for looking and a HUGE thanks to w0lf for helping me make this happen! Without him... There just wouldn't be!

Cheers,

//ubi

Very nice case.... and the dial seems to work though I cant quite see the brownish colour except in the comparison pic.

Are you going to do any more to the CG? I ask because in a couple of shots it looks like it needs some adjustment or is it the crown a bit to far off the case?

Looks great though especially next to those gen pics and it was interesting thread..... thanks for sharing :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Love it! :wub: But you already know this by now :))

P.S. What Pete is talking about would involve milling CG's feet in order to bring it closer to the case so that the crown is pressed in more tightly. Not a trivial task, as you have to keep the surface perfectly flat and sloping at ~10

Are you going to do any more to the CG? I ask because in a couple of shots it looks like it needs some adjustment or is it the crown a bit to far off the case?

Pete, you talking about the bend in the case where the curvature of the corner meets the flat part where the CG feet rest?

That might not be a quick 'fix' without some milling/sanding involved as it appears that the flat part is actually shorter on this case and CG feet overshoot by a fraction of the mm.

I wouldn't worry about it much, it's only visible in macro shots and under a loupe anyway ;-)

very sharp, R...thanks for sharing... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

i love the look of base dial PAMs...and even better in a ti case...wearing my LH dial PAM 177 today...one of my favorite pieces...and you're right - there's something about the aging of these old ti cases...

does this case have the engraved lugs on the underside?...

wear it well...R

Pete, you talking about the bend in the case where the curvature of the corner meets the flat part where the CG feet rest?

That might not be a quick 'fix' without some milling/sanding involved as it appears that the flat part is actually shorter on this case and CG feet overshoot by a fraction of the mm.

I wouldn't worry about it much, it's only visible in macro shots and under a loupe anyway ;-)

Yeah you'd need to mill it down on an upright mill...

dsc00344x.jpg

Although if you are good with a fine mill hand file you can actually accomplish the same thing but you better be good with a file :)

I meant more that on a couple of pics the lever doesn't appear flush at the top but in a couple of other pics the crown looks to far out. So I wasn't sure if the lever is out of place or if the crown is to far out is it pushing the lever out...

:)