When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Curious as to what mods I can actually do myself/

Prsist

I'd suggest getting comfortable with decasing the movement first of all. Then maybe with swapping the dial and hands. Those're the basics from which all future mods will spring from and depend upon. Best of luck, and enjoy your journey, you'll soon be doing things to your watches you never thought possible previously :good::drinks:

I bought half a dozen $50 watches and generally tormented them for several months. I didn't spend a whole lot and found what I could and couldn't do. In the end I turned maybe 2 into parts and was able to "dispose" of the ones that were still wearable and recoup some of the initial outlay...

Manual PAMs are pretty basic and easy to learn on. With a little practice, you can do quite a few of the simpler tasks as long as you are somewhat good with your hands. Just be prepared to ruin a couple.

I've been pretty successful in swapping hands, dials, date wheels, crowns, and crystals. I even fixed the keyless works on a swiss 2836-2, but that's about as far as I go on the internals. I've also bent a few second hands, scratched a few dials, broke a few stems, screwed up a couple keyless works and even crushed the crystal gasket on my DSSD (I'm waiting for BK to get some so I can replace it).

You can also learn how to work on cases too. I have been successful at shaving inner CGs, outer CGs on several subs. I also recently swapped solid endlinks on a sub bracelet (it took a total of 2 1/2 bracelets to get 1 good one though), and repolish and rebrush the sub case and bracelet.

I'm pretty handy, but have no clock making or metal working experience.

A lot of trial and error...and breaking stuff. :bangin: But it's a great hobby!

Get a basic watchmaker's tool kit that includes a hand puller and a caseback tool. You will also need a quality mag loupe. Ofrei has several excellent ones for under $50. What you will learn with practice is that this is a world where the forces that you are familliar with working with hand tools no longer apply. Think through what you want to do and remember, forcing something to happen is never a good idea. I agree, removing a movement from its case would be the first task to master. Pulling, caring for and replacing hands would be next. You'll come to find out post-it-notes are an excellent tool when repressing hands. The most important thing is taking your time.