When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New guy needs a hand...

davenit

I've spent the last day reading through as much as I can on this site. What a great place for info on a subject that I'm quite green about.

I went to some sites listed in the directory here. Josh at Perfect clone seems to have a great rep. Yeah, some problems but every business has them.

Here's my question: I see that he has the same models with a Asian or Swiss movement. Of course the price is radically different but still a fraction of the Gen. What should my expectations be from either watch? Worth stepping up the spending to go with a swiss movement?

Thanks and sorry for such a noob question. I'm really trying to get a foot hold on reps it's just hard to know what and who to trust.

Dave

depends on the type of watch: chronograph or not. Usually the non-chrono's are affordble with a swiss movement, usually an ETA movement. With these models I would advise to go with a swiss movement.

Chrono replica watches often have an asian movement, based on the swiss Valjoux 7750 movement. Reason is the swiss version is much more expensive. Diffrence between asian version and swiss version is about $400. The asian version is usually refered to as the A7750.

It is said that if you get a A7750 serviced, it is just as good as a swiss one.

You are generaly looking for non chronos at 3 or 4 automatic movements

Asian 21j based on thre miyota, this can be a good movement and last for years and is generaly cheep to replace

ETA 2824/36 movements, very dependable and reliable but oftern surplus stock or older movements but can be new, to be on the safe side if it was keeper then i would get it serviced

Asian clones of the ETA movements above, some particuualy the seagul versions have a good reputation and on the whole i would be happy with these in Reps but they would generaly benifit from a service also, it has been known that people have orderd gen ETA but got clones so be carfull to get what you pay for.

Seagull auto movements, These are used in alot of panerai and Chopard with power reserve and other complications, these suffer fom a noisy rotor but apart fom that i have not heard of a lot of problems.

Chronos you are realy stuck with the A7750 which is no bad thing after a service there are generaly 3 versions to look out for with out other complications

The older A7750 with a fine regualtor that does not work, beating at 21600bph and the hand sizes as the swiss 7750

Newer A7750 beating at 28800 bph missing the fine regulator but wont take gen swiss hands with out modding the hands

Even newer A7750s with the fine regulator that still doesent work but looks better, same problem with the hands

All are good movements but require a service but there are limited people that will work on these. New movements can be bought from cousins UK for less than

You are generaly looking for non chronos at 3 or 4 automatic movements

Asian 21j based on thre miyota, this can be a good movement and last for years and is generaly cheep to replace

ETA 2824/36 movements, very dependable and reliable but oftern surplus stock or older movements but can be new, to be on the safe side if it was keeper then i would get it serviced

Asian clones of the ETA movements above, some particuualy the seagul versions have a good reputation and on the whole i would be happy with these in Reps but they would generaly benifit from a service also, it has been known that people have orderd gen ETA but got clones so be carfull to get what you pay for.

Seagull auto movements, These are used in alot of panerai and Chopard with power reserve and other complications, these suffer fom a noisy rotor but apart fom that i have not heard of a lot of problems.

Chronos you are realy stuck with the A7750 which is no bad thing after a service there are generaly 3 versions to look out for with out other complications

The older A7750 with a fine regualtor that does not work, beating at 21600bph and the hand sizes as the swiss 7750

Newer A7750 beating at 28800 bph missing the fine regulator but wont take gen swiss hands with out modding the hands

Even newer A7750s with the fine regulator that still doesent work but looks better, same problem with the hands

All are good movements but require a service but there are limited people that will work on these. New movements can be bought from cousins UK for less than