When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

is it worth getting gen parts for my UPO?

naeems

Depends how far you want to take it. Gen dial, hands and crystal are the standard and quite simple to do, but the pearl is the biggest problem in my opinion. I would recommend modding the bezel insert as well. This involves ordering the entire bezel assembly and grinding down the insert. Once you have done these mods, the watch will look incredible and you won't notice any difference at all with the gen unless you inspect the caseback closely. The crown and tube are also usually done purely for reliability (the UPO has a habit of stripping the thread at some point in it's lieftime - it's a cheap mod and is worthwhile getting it replaced).

You could take it further by replacing the caseback, datewheel and bracelet/strap, but people will begin to say that this is not cost effective. I have personally done the lot, including installing a serviced ETA movement and waterproofing, and I prefer wearing this watch to my gen SMP.

On the other hand, I wouldn't go past an opportunity to buy a nice 2254.50 at a good price secondhand (which would be about equal to the total cost of a new ultra-modded UPO)....

Depends how far you want to take it. Gen dial, hands and crystal are the standard and quite simple to do, but the pearl is the biggest problem in my opinion. I would recommend modding the bezel insert as well. This involves ordering the entire bezel assembly and grinding down the insert. Once you have done these mods, the watch will look incredible and you won't notice any difference at all with the gen unless you inspect the caseback closely. The crown and tube are also usually done purely for reliability (the UPO has a habit of stripping the thread at some point in it's lieftime - it's a cheap mod and is worthwhile getting it replaced).

You could take it further by replacing the caseback, datewheel and bracelet/strap, but people will begin to say that this is not cost effective. I have personally done the lot, including installing a serviced ETA movement and waterproofing, and I prefer wearing this watch to my gen SMP.

On the other hand, I wouldn't go past an opportunity to buy a nice 2254.50 at a good price secondhand (which would be about equal to the total cost of a new ultra-modded UPO)....

Why is the bezel a problem?

Is the replica lume on the pearl a different colour to the genuine lume on the hands etc?

Im just trying to judge whether itll look stupid if I had genuine dial/hands and replica bezel (pearl)

Thanks for the advice :)

Why is the bezel a problem?

Is the replica lume on the pearl a different colour to the genuine lume on the hands etc?

Im just trying to judge whether itll look stupid if I had genuine dial/hands and replica bezel (pearl)

Thanks for the advice :)

The pearl on most of them is poorly finished and I am yet to see one that is actually in the centre of the triangle marker. The colour is similar but the lume difference in low light / dark between the pearl and the gen dial / hands is also very noticable. The pearl is probably the most noticable flaw on the UPO and is the first thing you will spot if you know what to look for. Other than that, it is a brilliant rep and once you replace these parts, you won't really see a difference from the gen.

The pearl on most of them is poorly finished and I am yet to see one that is actually in the centre of the triangle marker. The colour is similar but the lume difference in low light / dark between the pearl and the gen dial / hands is also very noticable. The pearl is probably the most noticable flaw on the UPO and is the first thing you will spot if you know what to look for. Other than that, it is a brilliant rep and once you replace these parts, you won't really see a difference from the gen.

Thanks for that info :)

How much does it cost to fit these gen parts? The main concern for me with the UPO is the pearl and the lume. I dont care about the dateweel or the caseback as it hardly affects the visual appearance..

Good comparison shots.

The main cost is in the parts themselves. To be be honest, they are all quite achievable yourself if you do the research, follow the guides, and have a few tools available.

My first ever experience at watch modding was fitting the dial, hands and crystal into a UPO. I found it quite easy with no previous experience.

The bezel mod just takes a lot of time and patience - there is a pretty in-depth tutorial around somewhere.

If you lack the confidence to do it yourself, you would have to obtain a quote from a trusted watchsmith. I would estimate about $100 to merely fit the dial, hands, crystal. It would be a wise investment to have the movement serviced and seals checked while you are at it (add another $150 odd). No modder will touch the gen bezel mod - it is a fiddly and time consuming thing.

I have a UPO that I bought in 2007. it has been service twice and the only Gen part I have is the crown and the tube, this because the rep crown sucks. The Dial and pearl was relume by the master. I tell no one cna tell the different only an expert can. unless you want to tell people that your watch is gen it really does not make a different. a the end it what you fell like doing and make feel good.

I have a UPO that I bought in 2007. it has been service twice and the only Gen part I have is the crown and the tube, this because the rep crown sucks. The Dial and pearl was relume by the master. I tell no one cna tell the different only an expert can. unless you want to tell people that your watch is gen it really does not make a different. a the end it what you fell like doing and make feel good.

Hi, where did you get you watched relumed and how much does it cost?