When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Acetimer winder vs orbirta or ?

pdnb

I enjoy manual winds, but I do have a couple of autos, and I sure don't like having to "swirl/shake" my watches every day. I have heard good things about the acetimer...would any of you have any reservations putting your gens on this winder? any reason for price differences... or is just branding and box finishing? perhaps motor or different types of rotations or...

Thanks!

pdnb

First off, I have been using an Acetimer for 2 years now with no issues. However, comparing and Acetimer with an Orbita is comparing a Toyota to a Porsche.

Acetimers are all about bang for the buck, and work fine with gens/reps. HOWEVER, the "fuzzy logic" aka wind clockwise for so-long, then wind CCW for so long, does NOT work well with one-way winding movements like the 7750's.

AceTimer Pros:

Quite all things considered (mine spins 10 feet away from our bed at night without disturbance)

Price

Hackable (easy to work on and even hack the electronincs)

AceTimer Cons:

Fuzzy Logic is bull$hit. Would benefit from a CW, CCW, Both switch.

Pillows for watches. Very hard, only really work well with straps or bracelets for ~6.75- 7" wrist or 7.75-8" wrist with adaptor. (If your wrist is 7.25~7.5, or smaller than 6.5 it sucks.)

(I bought a small AceTimer (2+3) for my wife, but with her 6" range wrist, her bracelets don't fit, similarly in the summer when my bracelets are set larger than <7" they flop around.)

Not trying to discourage an AceTimer, as overall I have been happy with the 2 we own, just know its limitations.

Thanks R-

my rep has a swiss 2892 with soprod power reserce...also like the analogy. Acetimer should be ok?

pdnb

First off, I have been using an Acetimer for 2 years now with no issues. However, comparing and Acetimer with an Orbita is comparing a Toyota to a Porsche.

Acetimers are all about bang for the buck, and work fine with gens/reps. HOWEVER, the "fuzzy logic" aka wind clockwise for so-long, then wind CCW for so long, does NOT work well with one-way winding movements like the 7750's.

AceTimer Pros:

Quite all things considered (mine spins 10 feet away from out bed at night without disturbance)

Price

Hackable (easy to work on and even hack the electronincs)

AceTimer Cons:

Fuzzy Logic is bull$hit. Would benefit from a CW, CCW, Both switch.

Pillows for watches. Very hard, only really work well with straps or bracelets for ~6.75- 7" wrist or 7.75-8" wrist with adaptor. (If your wrist is 7.25~7.5, or smaller than 6.5 it sucks.)

(I bought a small AceTimer (2+3) for my wife, but with her 6" range wrist, her bracelets don't fit, similarly in the summer when my bracelets are set larger than <7" they flop around.)

Not trying to discourage an AceTimer, as overall I have been happy with the 2 we own, just know its limitations.

I have had 2 Acetimers for a couple of years & run my gens, frankens & reps without any problems. My sole complaint is that I have not found their (or most other winders') watch guide to be sufficient to keep some watches' mainsprings fully wound. Instead, give each auto-wind watch 40 manual turns, set the Acetimer to its lowest number of turns/day & test the watch for a week or 2. If the watch stops, set the Acetimer to its next highest turns/day setting & retest. Use the lowest setting that keeps the watch running properly.

Again, YOU must experiment with your winder to find the most efficient setting for your watch.

@freddy333, any thoughts on the pillows that hold the watches? Based on your wristies, we are probably close, so guessing you are successful with the pillows minus the 'large' sleeve, as am I?

Some random thoughts: The 650 TPD setting keeps my Seikos, Gen Rolex, and most ETA 28xx wound. If you can get by with 650, you probably won't be slipping the mainspring (max winding) which could add to wear and tear (err on the side of least TPDs). 21J's seem to like 800 TPD, but some 1000. 7750's including a Gen 7753-- even at 1000 TPD (500 in reality) will buy you up to two weeks from a full wind.

The random, stop points do a pretty good job of not keeping the watch crown up, down, etc. for too long, but I have noticed my watches tend to run a little fast when in the winder for long periods.

Again, bang for the buck is worth it.

@freddy333, any thoughts on the pillows that hold the watches? Based on your wristies, we are probably close, so guessing you are successful with the pillows minus the 'large' sleeve, as am I?

I only use the winders for my non-quick-set date watches & I do not use any of the large sleeves (remove them). My watches fit fine (7" wrist) with a bit of folded Kleenex between the clasp & pillow (which you cannot see)

014-2_2__tonemapped1.jpg

I don't know about Acetimers, but I have seen rate issues on some pieces (Gens & Reps) that come into the shop due to magnetized hair springs. Typically a direct result due to the fact the lower end winders do not use shielded motors. Typically after the customer comes in a couple times a year with the same watch, the question will be asked "What kind of winder do you have?" or "Do you work near high voltage power lines?" :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I love my Orbita winders. Never had a watch run low on power even aftr sitting in a winder for months. Pricey, but worth the investment for a nice collection IMO.

I don't know about Acetimers, but I have seen rate issues on some pieces (Gens & Reps) that come into the shop due to magnetized hair springs. Typically a direct result due to the fact the lower end winders do not use shielded motors.

Good point, but not an issue with the Acetimers, which are also silent as well.

Ditto.

I actually pulled out the padding on my AceTimer to get closer to the motor, and held a small pocket compass as close as possible to the DC motor. NO Movement of the compass needle, so no real magnetic disturbance.

In case you have never taken apart an AceTimer the construction is something like this:

Watch on Pillow

Padded Area with Cut-outs (these pull out to access the below items)

Wooden Cup (that holds padded area)

~(shaft / washer / screw = wooden cup -to- shaft)~

Felt covering

Wooden box

Galavanized plate holding motor

(motor, inside back of wooden box)

All said and done the watch is a 3" away from these small DC motors running at 4 volts.