When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cousteau Diver or DSSD ?

russ

Ok friends,

I'm treating myself to a new watch this holiday season and cant decide between a DSSD or Cousteau divers. Can anyone tell me if the domed crystal on the DSSD has more of a dome than the IWC? Is the cousteau durable enough for everyday use?

help,

Russ

Edited by russ

Ok friends,

I'm treating myself to a new watch this holiday season and cant decide between a DSSD or Cousteau divers. Can anyone tell me if the domed crystal on the DSSD has more of a dome than the IWC? Is the cousteau durable enough for everyday use?

help,

Russ

DSSD really has no dome, maybe a 1mm. I had one and didnt like it. It was too top heavy and bulky, I have a 6.5" wrist. If you have a larger wrist it might work for you. It doesnt work too well under the shirt sleeve. I loved the glidelock but once again my wrists are too small, it just didnt sit well on MY wrist. I have a Slevin, cousin to the Cousteau. I love it. 42mm is perfect on my wrist and very functional. The internal bezel is a pain to move but it adds to the look of the watch. Both are durable. I worked retail and both held up very well.

Stuff to think about....

Decide if you want a Diver or Chronograph

The DSSD is the hot watch at the moment. If you are trendy go for that. if you like to be different go IWC.

Do you care about "pulling a watch off" if you do go for the IWC.

The IWC looks good on a bracelet and a rubber strap, gives you a little variety.

The IWC is a lot more functional: Bezel, chrono, day, date.

The chronograph movt wont last too long and really should be serviced as soon as possible to increase the longevity of the watch. Expect $225 to cover that.

Good luck with your decision. Keep us posted and post pics of your purchase.

For me mate its the DSSD everytime.

The crystal as stated is not domed, just very thick and angled distortion.

As for durability thats just a matter of getting it properly serviced as P says ;)

The rest is really personal choice and whether accuracy plays any part in your decision process.

As for the size issue, there are a lot of guys with smaller wrists who love the DSSD to wear there are also a lot who arent so keen but they still wear them because the feel is negative in only a negligible way. So I dont suggest you base your decision on that alone but if you are concerned then go for a Sea-dweller (SSD) from JackJo :)

Good luck mate and as P said let us know what you decide :) with pics!!!

With a narrow wrist (mine is 6 1/2" also) neither is a good choice. I've had both and they were uncomfortable for different reasons. The Cousteau has a rubber strap that is rather thick at the lugs and doesn't bend very well around a narrow wrist. The DSSD is, on the other hand, rather large and top heavy with the narrow bracelet. Both are more suitable for someone with a wide wrist, not necessarily just a large wrist.

The Cousteau on a bracelet, if you could find it, would be a much better choice. Or as mentioned a Slevin on bracelet.

Apples and oranges. The DSSD is the obvious work horse. With an ETA-2836 movement you can't go wrong. just double check to make sure it's GEN eta before it ships. The watch is indestructible and i'd put it up against a Cousteau Diver anyday. Although the Cousteau diver is labeled a diver, any diver's watch with chrono function is just posing in my point of view.

On the other hand, the Aquatimer/Cousteau line is very elegant and really classy. I love the design and have always wanted a slevin on bracelet. If workhorse undestructibility is what you prefer, go for the DSSD.

With regards to Prsist's comments on the DSSD being "hot" at the moment, i'd keep that comment relative. The cousteau/aquatimer is a classic and has been around a longer than the DSSD, on the other hand. So yes, at the moment the DSSD is very popular ON THE FORUM.. but in real life, i think both watches are a moderately rare sight to see on wrists. (be it rep or gen).

If you have to really choose between the two, and you're looking for a true diver's watch, go for the DSSD. If you want something a bit slimmer, less chunky, less heavy and a little bit classier (as far as sports watches go), go for the iwc.

Whatever you do, show us pics once the watch is in your posession!! :)

Good luck