When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Release mechanism tutorial , a how to

rbj69

ok many know me by now and know i type as i speak , plain english and no big words , but im guessing now u guys know me and can understand me , well at least i hope u can lol what i will be showing u is how i fix the release mechanism if u push it out of the socket so to speak, this one was pretty bad he bent some things i had to straighten out and piece back together, ok lets start , remember my pointer is the screwdriver ok

first of all u take the hands , dial and datewheel off , this is a mbw, so there is glue to tend with and u have to be really careful while taking the dial off or u could bend it

pic of the , hands ,dial, and datewheel and top of the movment once removed

393-8059.jpg

im pointing with a screwdriver in this pic to show u the release spring for the datewheel u simply push it in to release it , also the big screw underneath my screwdriver/pointer i loosend a bit , reason for that will be coming up

393-8060.jpg

this is how it looks when u push the stem release mechanism too hard notice how the sparts r bulging outward

393-8061.jpg

now the fix, we have to remove the top plate , remove this screw

393-8062.jpg

remember that screw below the datewheel release spring i said earlier u need to loosen but not remove here is why , when u do this it makes it easier to pull the top plate out

393-8063.jpg

see the little lip on the top plate , it slides under that plate/big screw i loosened at the datewheel release spring , here is the little lip and where it slides under

393-8064.jpg

393-8065.jpg

now u have to loosen this screw and remove this piece , i dont know the correct name for this piece but u can see what im doing in the pic . also where that screw driver is do u see the bend in it, this where the person pushed really hard and bent this piece way on the other side , u really have to push it to achieve this bend lol hey he didnt know and i commend him trying to do some work himself , sometimes trying something is how u learn

393-8066.jpg

another shot of the bend at the screw

393-8067.jpg

ok now u have to remove the little arm im showing it simply pulls upwards off the post im pointing at

393-8068.jpg

now u pull the stem release mechanism out to reposition in its correct place , like a puzzle

393-8069.jpg

backside shot of the pusher , this post im showing is what u actually r pushing on to release the stem from the movment

393-8070.jpg

now all u do is reverse everything i just showed u and put it back together some key points is in this pic, make sure this arm is around the little post on top of the release mechanism

393-8071.jpg

and make sure u push the u shaped spring over to the side of the little metal piece im showing , it is spring action and when u push the stem in and out to change date or time , it helps push the arm up and down

393-8072.jpg

after u get everything lined up and positioned correctly , u put your top plate back on like so making sure u slide the little lip back under that plate im showing and tighten that screw and put your top plate back in place and tighten it down

393-8073.jpg

this is how it looks with it all in order and as u can see the bent parts r straight and looking good , lol

393-8074.jpg

after pushing in and out the stem testing it now u can put your datewheel back on , u have to push in that little spring i showed u at the top to get the datewheel to lock in position

393-8075.jpg

now it all works properly , and u can smile and now take a breath of air lol

enjoy , i know im not a english major and i never claimed to be, i tried to make it fun and simple for u to understand

just wanted u to know if u try this at home u have to have patience and if u r nervous or shakey i wouldnt recommend working on watches lol cheers

now for the best part after a job is completed ..... BEEEEEEERRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

393-8076.jpg

• 6 months later...