When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Please critique my Ferrari 008 QC pics

T-MAN

Hi everyone.

Long time lurker, still new at posting. I have ordered a couple of watches from Andrew and one of them is the Ferrari 008. Andrew has been great in his quick responses and has sent me these QC pics. Can you please comment if you see anything that should be 'better'?

Thanks! :)

post-13671-0-26668500-1290039326.jpg

post-13671-0-23545000-1290039337.jpg

post-13671-0-50566500-1290039346.jpg

post-13671-0-71921400-1290039357.jpg

post-13671-0-04258500-1290039368.jpg

On the second picture the centre part of the right pushbutton seems to be sticking out more then the left button. Is this some kind of screw down button? I can see some thread in there.

Cool watch. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Yes mate this is how you lock the chrono pushers like the 187, its just undone. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks. Any particular strap recommendations and from who?

I have seen a few for sale on here and Risti :)

Being a Ferrari Got to be LOUD !!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Here is the one I have on my ferrari... I am waiting on getting in on the chief AR coating and lume.

4357238484_bee527d6e7_z.jpg

Very nice!! Where did you get that from if you don't mind me asking.

I saw a gen at an AD not too long ago. The gens have hardly (if any) AR on them. Are you ok with getting it AR'd and moving away from replicating the accuracy of the gen?

the AR on the rep isn't good times and it doesn't draw attention to the dial lol.

Mine was purchased with the watch. but if you want to buy the strap that I have it is available here it is from taikonaut and is a wonderful strap. Looks amazing on it. I have been thinking this one would also look good on it.

Mine has the carbon fiber dial and is the flyback model. However you can see the lovely blue instead of the super nice carbon fiber dial in most shots. So I am really wanting to get in on one of those coating runs, just need to find someone who will hook me up with a lume on the hands, pop the crystal out send it off and wait for it to come back, pop it back in and send it back to me lol. Saw some that had the AR coating done on them and they made me realize how much better mine could look. Wait for yours to arrive and see if you feel the same. Oh and don't go looking for ones that have had it done or you will be in the same boat as me wanting for it lol.

4457254319_b80c6e399a_z.jpg

4457254713_5fae3477dd_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Quick Update... I received the watch and it's fantastic... I love it... I see what you mean by the AR. But I popped into an AD to see the real deal and it doesn't have AR on it either... It was actually pretty bad that when I asked the AD, he was trying to justify why it didn't have it and it was a lot of rubbish coming out of his mouth.. But the bottom line is that the gen has no AR. So this rep really is spot on in every way (bar the lume).

I still see the advantage in getting an AR coating though, so I will opt for an inside single layer AR coat so that it is more subtle and not so much a departure from the gen.

@jchurch... I love the strap with yellow stitching... I am probably 90% towards pulling the trigger on it.

Thanks everyone for the comments. If you have anymore strap ideas, I'd love to see them. :)

As with all panerais.. the GEN Ferrari does indeed have AR, It's one sided internal Anti-Reflective coating. The panerai website lists all of it's watches as having this coating. If the AD didn't know this, then he's simply unknowledgable.

The reason for not coating the outside is purely to prevent AR erosion. Aesthetically AR does enhance the look of the dial but more often than not, the AR coating will not outlast the life of the watch itself. AR shows fingerprints and scratches fairly easy. It's a fairly new idea in the watch world and many companies are reluctant to even use it, since many of the companies that do use it, suffer complaints from customers about the coating getting scratched. I know several omega and IWC owners that have removed the outer coating simply because it became to scratched or blotchy after long periods of regular use.

Panerais also tend to shy away from AR since many of their models have slightly domed crystals and leave the crystal even more exposed to possible bangs.

As with all panerais.. the GEN Ferrari does indeed have AR, It's one sided internal Anti-Reflective coating. The panerai website lists all of it's watches as having this coating. If the AD didn't know this, then he's simply unknowledgable.

The reason for not coating the outside is purely to prevent AR erosion. Aesthetically AR does enhance the look of the dial but more often than not, the AR coating will not outlast the life of the watch itself. AR shows fingerprints and scratches fairly easy. It's a fairly new idea in the watch world and many companies are reluctant to even use it, since many of the companies that do use it, suffer complaints from customers about the coating getting scratched. I know several omega and IWC owners that have removed the outer coating simply because it became to scratched or blotchy after long periods of regular use.

Panerais also tend to shy away from AR since many of their models have slightly domed crystals and leave the crystal even more exposed to possible bangs.

Thanks for this great info. I stand corrected. Well at least my single AR venture then will be similar to the gen. Even though it is a single AR it seemed really light at the AD that I didn't notice it at all and the store lights were reflecting on the crystal badly.

Plaifender, i wish people as knowledgable as you were employed at ADs. Anyhow. I can't resist anymore. I must tell you all what the AD rep told me as an attempt to justify that there is (allegedly) 'no' AR on the Ferrari:

'Well, no, they don't come with Antireflective coating as it tends to make the crystal blue in color and this would not go well with the Ferrari spirit of red or yellow. The watch is trying to replicate a dash from their cars and their dashes don't have blue tints so it would spoil the experience'!!!!!!!!!

Imagine me trying to not laugh and look all serious because I was a 'potential serious buyer'!

I dont know about the AD's explanation, but it does kinda make sense. :pardon: Most watches that are not meant for diving dont have AR,those that do have one sided AR only. Congratulations on the Panerai Ferrari GT,one of the most accurate reps made,enjoy. BTW, What model of Ferrari are you getting to go with your new formula one Inspired timepiece? :victory:

Thanks for this great info. I stand corrected. Well at least my single AR venture then will be similar to the gen. Even though it is a single AR it seemed really light at the AD that I didn't notice it at all and the store lights were reflecting on the crystal badly.

Plaifender, i wish people as knowledgable as you were employed at ADs. Anyhow. I can't resist anymore. I must tell you all what the AD rep told me as an attempt to justify that there is (allegedly) 'no' AR on the Ferrari:

'Well, no, they don't come with Antireflective coating as it tends to make the crystal blue in color and this would not go well with the Ferrari spirit of red or yellow. The watch is trying to replicate a dash from their cars and their dashes don't have blue tints so it would spoil the experience'!!!!!!!!!

Imagine me trying to not laugh and look all serious because I was a 'potential serious buyer'!

haha.. yeah a somewhat ridiculous explanation! It's kind of stupid that he made it sound like they decided to not do it only on this specific model, when panerai doesn't outercoat any of their models!

Thanks for the compliment.. but i'm really not that knowledgeable.. just as knowledgeable as RWG has made me!

I dont know about the AD's explanation, but it does kinda make sense. :pardon: Most watches that are not meant for diving dont have AR,those that do have one sided AR only. Congratulations on the Panerai Ferrari GT,one of the most accurate reps made,enjoy. BTW, What model of Ferrari are you getting to go with your new formula one Inspired timepiece? :victory:

While I do take your point... It is as plaifender says again, he tried to justify his story only for that model whereas it is across the board for all Panerai watches...

OK.... here's a funny one to follow this up.. and since you asked... True story... This baby below was mine until the Mrs decided to bring into the world a package deal of twins... Notice the 'not in the Ferrari spirit' colour... Ferrari are proud to call it 'Tour de France Blue'. So I guess the colour really spoiled my experience of owning the car somehow. I don't know what the permanent silly grin on my face represented though everytime I saw it or sat in it. Anyhow... This one is not a rep!!

.... Oh...and there is a road.. The car is not on the sand... It was just shot from a low angle on purpose to make the road 'disappear'. Hope you like it.

post-13671-0-84616000-1291247528.jpg

post-13671-0-16704000-1291247540.jpg

T-Man I was joking about the Ferrari,had no idea that you actually had one. Reguradless of color, that Is one beautiful car. Most people can only dream of such a car. I sat In a 73 Dino about five years ago at a car show. Thats about as close as I will ever come to a Ferrari,IMHO the most beautiful and powerful cars In the world. Thanks for sharing those pics,btw I hate you man ;)

T-Man I was joking about the Ferrari,had no idea that you actually had one. Reguradless of color, that Is one beautiful car. Most people can only dream of such a car. I sat In a 73 Dino about five years ago at a car show. Thats about as close as I will ever come to a Ferrari,IMHO the most beautiful and powerful cars In the world. Thanks for sharing those pics,btw I hate you man ;)

Can't be too careful on this forum.. there's some members here with spectacular cars..

"Exper" has a Lamborghini.. "Veyron" has a Bugatti and seems as though "t-man" has got a ferrari :)

Can't be too careful on this forum.. there's some members here with spectacular cars..

"Exper" has a Lamborghini.. "Veyron" has a Bugatti and seems as though "t-man" has got a ferrari :)

HAD :(

I had to let it go when we had twins... (two years ago) Needed to get back to the real world ... My wife thought I had tears of joy when I saw my kids... Between you and me... it was tears of sorrow letting the car go...