When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

worried about crown/tube

naeems

Hey guys,

I am very worried about crown and tube stripping on my recently purchased UPO. I bought the asian movement and am concerned because i cant have the gen. crown/tube mod.

I am also considering purchasing an Omega SMP Chrono. But this same concern is holding me back.

I do not want the extra inconvenience of having mods.. It will become too costly for a rep.

Please advise me :(:wounded1:

mine lasted a week, its not an easy mod

what might have been hard for you can be easy for others.

I'm not saying mine was super easy, I encountered some bumps along the way but A) it was relatively easy and 2) worth the mods

Your only other option is to NOT unscrew the crown at all, don't use it for anything. Sounds stupid don't it?

For a small price and some sweat, you can have your cake and eat it too.

A little search goes a long way:

Tube mod:

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/solution-when-crown-upo-does-52623.html

You don't need that special tool to yank out the tube, it's a luxury and can be done without.

My build:

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/inside-franken-upo-build-60554.html?t=60554

Don't forget the stem! My crown did not come with a stem when I bought it.

Good luck

what might have been hard for you can be easy for others.

I'm not saying mine was super easy, I encountered some bumps along the way but A) it was relatively easy and 2) worth the mods

Your only other option is to NOT unscrew the crown at all, don't use it for anything. Sounds stupid don't it?

For a small price and some sweat, you can have your cake and eat it too.

A little search goes a long way:

Tube mod:

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/solution-when-crown-upo-does-52623.html

You don't need that special tool to yank out the tube, it's a luxury and can be done without.

My build:

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/inside-franken-upo-build-60554.html?t=60554

Don't forget the stem! My crown did not come with a stem when I bought it.

Good luck

I have the asian clone movement instead of the swiss on my UPO.. will this mod still be possible?

Thanks for the insight and guidance, much appreciated :)

I have the asian clone movement instead of the swiss on my UPO.. will this mod still be possible?

Thanks for the insight and guidance, much appreciated :)

Yes, the mod is the same with the asian movement.

Touch wood, but both of mine are still good after many months. Because I'd read of the problem, i always _very carefully_ wind back before forwards and haven't had an issue.

where are you from naeems? this mod is fairly simple. I did it myself on Friday. I've never modded anything before in my life and it took me less than 2 hours of work. It requires, a vice, a pair of pliers to take the old tube out. and Araldite epoxy. The movement takes about 2 minutes to get out of the watch and once it's out it's very simple. If you're located in europe i wouldn't mind doing it for you if you had the pieces.

Anyways.. good luck.. If i were you I'd get this mod done. Very cheap and very easy. For someone experienced with this specific mod it should take less than 45 minutes of work.

where are you from naeems? this mod is fairly simple. I did it myself on Friday. I've never modded anything before in my life and it took me less than 2 hours of work. It requires, a vice, a pair of pliers to take the old tube out. and Araldite epoxy. The movement takes about 2 minutes to get out of the watch and once it's out it's very simple. If you're located in europe i wouldn't mind doing it for you if you had the pieces.

Anyways.. good luck.. If i were you I'd get this mod done. Very cheap and very easy. For someone experienced with this specific mod it should take less than 45 minutes of work.

Thanks for the encouragement :) Im based in the UK ..

I will consider doing it myself.. I also think the bezel mod is very important with these seamasters, as the bezel is the only apparent flaw..

Is it easy to swop bezel with Gen?

attaboy! You'll feel a great sense of pride for your watch when you are done! Modding can get very addictive quickly!.....and expensive lol

Bezel cannot be swapped without extensive modifications on a UPO....

do you mean the bezel INSERT? because that is easy. And expensive. $225 I think is the going price for a gen bezel....not worth it.

What are you trying to achieve? a better pearl?

I would advice scouring e-bay for a Seamaster bezel insert (around $100 or so) and just using the pearl from that to swap with your rep.

attaboy! You'll feel a great sense of pride for your watch when you are done! Modding can get very addictive quickly!.....and expensive lol

Bezel cannot be swapped without extensive modifications on a UPO....

do you mean the bezel INSERT? because that is easy. And expensive. $225 I think is the going price for a gen bezel....not worth it.

What are you trying to achieve? a better pearl?

I would advice scouring e-bay for a Seamaster bezel insert (around $100 or so) and just using the pearl from that to swap with your rep.

Thanks for the advice :)

How easy is it to swap the pearl?

Thanks for the encouragement :) Im based in the UK ..

I will consider doing it myself.. I also think the bezel mod is very important with these seamasters, as the bezel is the only apparent flaw..

Is it easy to swop bezel with Gen?

If you want, I can install the tube and crown for you for pennies. (I'm located in madrid).Otherwise it's a very simple mod, it's scarier thinking about doing it than the actual process itself.

The bezel swap is NOT a simple matter. As it requires machining in order to maintain functionaility, or cementing to keep the bezel from moving. But the gen bezel does not fit the rep. Don't recommend you do it, since it's a quite expensive mod. The bezel insert for me is the last thing that would give away the UPO. A GEN dial is a much better investment for the money if you'd like to do something apart from the (HIGHLY NECESSARY) crown and tube mod.

PM me if you want me to install the crown and tube for you.