When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor Chrono Madness sets in -- need some expert advice

fijikid

Hey thanks for the quickie Ubi! ;-). My thinking was to use a 79270P case & movement and put the Yuki McJuki dial up in that sucker and have the old style auto tudor chrono with the desirable (to me) rotating bezel. Shaving one down doesn't sound like fun, though. I'd just make one from scratch from yuki, but he doesn't make the case with the rotating bezel. Kind of a deal breaker for me. Oh well. (should i give up?)

I'm guessing you are looking at using a 79280 case with the dial? The dial might actually be a bit too big. Maybe around 1mm or so. I know that the older 9420/79180s used a larger crystal and bezel than the 79280, thus I would conclude that the dial is also larger.

Yeah. I really do like the fat-cased pre-tiger, auto chronotime beauties, but they're always so expensive. There's a Tiger model with the rotating bezel for sale right now for very reasonable money, hence my urge to do the old-school monte-carlo-era early chrono-time homage by adding the Yuki dial. In my delusional watch fantasy world, the Yuki dial just popped in and the hands popped on and off I was, diving head long into watch nirvana. I can't even find the measurement of the Tiger's dial. The Yuki dial is 29.5mm with feet at 3pm and 34 minutes. Hmmm. Wish I knew more about the parts on these Tooters.

Yup, Tee-Jay - a little dial shaving should be no big deal, right? (famous last words!). I'm not feeling to confident about this - wish I could find out the dial size on the Tudor Tiger chronos...

I wouldn't call it a big deal, but, I'd also say it's a job to undertake carefully and with perfect clarity :) I'd suggest fixing some sandpaper to your desk, then gently rotating the dial edge against it to very very carefully remove the surplus material, as the rehaut will conceal the dial edge once it's all cased up :) Just be sure to work slowly, gradually, and check your progress frequently, so as not to remove too much material :) Best of luck with the project :victory: