When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Changing A Feww Bits On My 1680

Bazz

This weekend I was changing a few parts on my 1680 and thought I would take a few pics along the way.

Heres how it started

125733-20409.jpg

and with the new parts

125733-20410.jpg

I didn't take any pics of how to take it apart as there are heaps of posts showing how to do it.

Once it was apart I used a file on the crown guards and case edges to round them off a bit, I also drilled out the lug holes, then sanded the case and finally polished it with a dremmel. Note the groove on the top of the case for a gasket... I didn't have a gasket to fit but have some on order (part number 29-325-10)

125733-20411.jpg

Comparing the crystals, new one is on the left.

125733-20412.jpg

125733-20413.jpg

Comparing the inserts

125733-20414.jpg

And the tubes,

125733-20415.jpg

Unfortunately the gen tube was not a straight swap as on my 1665, so I may need to retap the case not sure yet but it is not installed at the moment.

All back together, ready to go :wub:

125733-20416.jpg

125733-20417.jpg

125733-20418.jpg

First of.. congratulations :> excellent looking watch and you did awesome job with the mods. :> Enjoy

Can you tell me about the sanding and polishing part? I've bought a dremel and some various sand paper but I haven't been able to bring back the finish you see on the side of the case ( which looks almost like chrome ).

Maybe I'm not sanding long enough? I've got 60, 120, and 400 grit material.. I've used a dremel with polish pad and red / orange polish... also used brasso..

I'm trying to perfect this process and have yet to on a couple of older watches.. I've got a couple of MBW's coming that I want to make look as good as yours and others I have seen..

TY,

MacDad

@ MacDad22

Thanks for the compliment, as far as the case finishing I used the hand file to shape the crown guards and knock the edge of the lugs. When you drill the lug holes you will have to do a little work around the holes as they become slightly raised from drilling.

I then sanded the case with normal sandpaper, 360 grit from memory. Once I was happy all the low spots or marks were gone I pulled out the dremel, set it to a low rev setting and polish with some polishing compound (red one from dremel).

Thats about all I do and seem to work out ok for me, maybe try slowing down the dremel speed?