When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Explorer I 36mm - How accurately repped?

ratpatrolteam01

How close are these reps compared to gen? Does anyone know or have a list of things that are wrong with this gen? (Font proportion, lume, etc) thanks!

I also have a question on regarding this... TrustyTime has 2 models available..

What's the difference between...

http://www.yourtrustytime.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_3&products_id=242

and

http://www.yourtrustytime.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_3&products_id=6423

it looks like:

1. the 2nd link says 12mm in thickness vs 11.5mm on the first link.

2. The internal parts have different colors.

3. Rotator has Rolex 25 J on it on the 2nd link, while 1st link has none...

and the 2nd link, the entire watch looks... a bit weird.. it might be the angles, lighting and/or the pictures themsleves... but I don't know.

Anyone care to pitch in?

Oh, and the case diameter says 37mm, according to a member factories don't make 37mm cases, it's actually 35.5mm (used by other watch models as well). the 37mm comes from the length of the case + crown (makes sense). (case is documented as 36mm by rolex though, even if it is 35.5mm in gens too). If anyone can double verify, that'd be great.

I would like to measure mine, but it's on the move to repairs.

Edited by ratpatrolteam01

I think he means 'BAD' and SEL refers to Solid End Link vs a Folded End Link.

As for overall accuracy; the simplicity of the 14270 makes it a fairly easy watch to replicate accurately. The only things that could really use improvement are the crown and bracelet end links as rosnik suggested in his post prior.

I think he means 'BAD' and SEL refers to Solid End Link vs a Folded End Link.

As for overall accuracy; the simplicity of the 14270 makes it a fairly easy watch to replicate accurately. The only things that could really use improvement are the crown and bracelet end links as rosnik suggested in his post prior.

Can you post pictures on what you mean by folding vs solid?

As for the crown, how could that be different to improve?

i mean if someone was really picky what would they say about this?

thanks for all the replies.

*I can't find any Folded End link pictures, but I did find Solid End Link, I also found hollow end link as well.

Solid End Link (SEL)

IMG_0263.jpg

Basically a 3-piece end link comprised of three solid milled pieces of metal.

Folded End Link

IMG_6628.jpg

A small sheet of metal folded over to create an end link.

As for the crown; the details are just subtle enough that those not familiar wouldn't think twice about the rep crown. However, if you compare a rep crown to a gen crown, there are differences in detail and finish.

While we're picking nits, the clasp isn't great either. Terrible? No... But not the most accurate to gen.

oh ok, thanks for explaining. when i get home, i'll see exactly what i have with me.

i had the 1st link on hand, i just wanted to know if the one in the 2nd link is more accurate/better than mine.

Does anyone know where to get the exact dimensions of these watches?, because the thickness is anywhere from 11mm to 12mm in the internet. (11, 11.35, 11.5, 12mm). idk what is right.

just bored and curious

plus, I might be replacing the bracelet anyway with a leather one. And as for accuracy, I meant accuracy of the case, crown, glass, face, needles, etc. (So everything minus the bracelet lol)

BTW why is Folded better than solid, i thought it was the other way around?

There are many reps of the Explorer 1. Each with their own flaws. Things to look for are crystal height, it should be raised above the bezel, many reps sit too low. The numerals on the dial, they need to be rounded, some reps have very square shaped numerals and some have too much white "paint" in them. The crown, some reps has a very oversized crown. The bracelet and clasp are also important, are the endlinks flush to the case, for example.

If i remember right, the 11,5 mm version has a good case, crystal and crown but it would be nice with photos to actually confirm this.

Wow, that's amazing thanks for the post!. (It looks like I have the same one that this reviewer has, I got ETA movement as well).

So it looks like the rep has these problems on the actual watch itself not the bracelet:

1. The crystal might be lower than gen.

2. The crown looks less "sharp" (hey, could happen some use with the gen too) and doesn't screw in as close as gen.

3. Superlume

4. the laser etching of crown (but I think the newer explorer I has that)

insignificant flaws imo, sounds good to me.

thanks so much for everyones help!

Another option is to build a 14270:

-Gen 16200 DJ case

-Gen 24-600 crown/tube

-Gen 25-295C with cyclops removed

-Gen 14270 dial

-Rep Submariner hands

-ETA 2824-2

All gen on the exterior...

Randy,

I thought the 14270 dial only goes with 14000 or 15000 series cases with 19mm lugs, correct me if I am wrong.

P.S. Very nice Explorer and for $250 is a steal!

Randy,

I thought the 14270 dial only goes with 14000 or 15000 series cases with 19mm lugs, correct me if I am wrong.

P.S. Very nice Explorer and for $250 is a steal!

For a 14270, you definitely want the 36mm/20mm lug case :) I went with the 16200 since the case came with the smooth bezel as-is; one less part to have to hunt down.

Definitely a fun project! ^_^

Cheers!

//ubi