When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Original Parts In China/tw Replica Rolex

fellfell

Dear friends

All know that is possible to put original parts Rolex in a MBW.

UBI has taught to me that is impossible to put a original dial in to Daytona 7750 replica because is different the position of the hands of subdials.

My answer now is: are Rolex replicas of the sellers of RWG compatible with originals parts .

An example: all RWG sellers, Trusty, Precious, Perfect, King, Eddie etc. have replicas of actual submariner- date (I have the impression that all sell the same watch ......)

Is possible to put in these replicas an original genuine GEN dial and bezel?

Or the measures of replica are imperfect and different to original Rolex Sub?

Thanks to friends that answers to me.

I can only say from experience on the classic Taiwan cased 16610 which has the same case as the MBW. The gen bezel assembly which I have, will not work. I have glued it to the case and looks terrific but you will loose the ability to rotate the bezel. I doubt it will work on the newer CN subs.

With regard to the gen insert, depending on which 16610, it needs to be ground to fit the shallow rep bezel, at least on the Taiwan best & MBW. The width of the gen insert is fine. I have a gen installed and it is a very worthwhile upgrade.

From what I have read, the dial can be made to fit but the feet will have to be removed and the dial trimmed to fit the case. However, some of the newer CN dials are darn good and a much cheaper alternative to destroying a perfectly good & expensive gen dial.

Crown & tube should be no problema. The threads of the case may have to be retapped.

BTW, only the vintage sport MBWs (1665 & 1680) will accept OEM parts with minimal modifications. The 1665 seems to even take a gen dial with no problems.

Best of luck with the project. :)

fellfell-

Parts compatibility is all dependant on the watch that you have, or are working on. Some accept parts better than others, however, modern Subs and SD's will require much more modification of parts in order to fit than, say an MBW vintage Sub or SD.

For replica 16610's, things like genuine bezel inserts require the bottom surface of the insert to be shaved down so that it will fit flush/slightly recessed in the bezel; replica bezels are too shallow to accept the inserts unmodified (and replica inserts are very thin). Installing crown tubes can be a bit more varied- On some, the tubes simply thread right in- On some, the case needs to be re-tapped, and the hole counter sunk to fit the base of the tube, and on others, the hole for the tube needs to be completely drilled out, counter sunk and tapped as the original hole was too small. Dials are also dependant on the specific watch you have, as some cases may have the inner diameter too small for the dial (requiring the dial to be trimmed), and the date window might not line up correctly with the datewheel overlay (which is easily corrected with the right date overlay). Of course, as Jetsons mentioned, the dial feet will have to be trimmed as the ETA caries different positions for the posts.

So... It all depends on the watch you have, and the parts that you want to install. For most parts, it's not difficult to fit these parts, but it will require some work to get them to fit right.

Best of luck...

R

fellfell-

Parts compatibility is all dependant on the watch that you have, or are working on. Some accept parts better than others, however, modern Subs and SD's will require much more modification of parts in order to fit than, say an MBW vintage Sub or SD.

For replica 16610's, things like genuine bezel inserts require the bottom surface of the insert to be shaved down so that it will fit flush/slightly recessed in the bezel; replica bezels are too shallow to accept the inserts unmodified (and replica inserts are very thin). Installing crown tubes can be a bit more varied- On some, the tubes simply thread right in- On some, the case needs to be re-tapped, and the hole counter sunk to fit the base of the tube, and on others, the hole for the tube needs to be completely drilled out, counter sunk and tapped as the original hole was too small. Dials are also dependant on the specific watch you have, as some cases may have the inner diameter too small for the dial (requiring the dial to be trimmed), and the date window might not line up correctly with the datewheel overlay (which is easily corrected with the right date overlay). Of course, as Jetsons mentioned, the dial feet will have to be trimmed as the ETA caries different positions for the posts.

So... It all depends on the watch you have, and the parts that you want to install. For most parts, it's not difficult to fit these parts, but it will require some work to get them to fit right.

Best of luck...

R

OK. Very interesting Very complicated

We make 3 examples :

1. GEN dial in daydate/datejust 36 mm China/TW.I think that IT is not problems.

2. GEN dial in Sub/GMT I think that IT is not problems

3. Bezel in (actual) sub or GMT china/TW. If you want to insert only the “bezel insert” there are problems of measure and thickness. Possible Is that the GEN bezel insert goes well, it is possible that not. It must try

But is possible to acquire the complete bezel, that it comprises bezel insert + indented metal ring and ring.

In this case it is replaced all, and probably the problem is eliminated.

Is it correct?

Bye bye

OK. Very interesting Very complicated

We make 3 examples :

1. GEN dial in daydate/datejust 36 mm China/TW.I think that IT is not problems.

2. GEN dial in Sub/GMT I think that IT is not problems

3. Bezel in (actual) sub or GMT china/TW. If you want to insert only the “bezel insert” there are problems of measure and thickness. Possible Is that the GEN bezel insert goes well, it is possible that not. It must try

But is possible to acquire the complete bezel, that it comprises bezel insert + indented metal ring and ring.

In this case it is replaced all, and probably the problem is eliminated.

Is it correct?

Bye bye

Are you reading my mind . . . do you have spies in my workshop perhaps! LOL

Let me tell you something about bezel inserts - nobody knows. I did what any tool & die man would do - I used a caliper to mic them and I found that a 5513, or a 1680 by one supplier may be much different than the ones being offered by another.

When you consider that a bezel ring is is press fit, with very little interference, any difference is HUGE.

As for the factory bezel assembly, when dealing with the vintage watches, everything depends upon the crystal. The crystal retaining ring is press fit to the crystal, and the bezel itself snaps to the ring with a spring washer in between.

There again, you must have a micrometer of some kind if you are going to hope to make your own fitment, as well as a complete catalog of crystals with measurements.

Good luck

Bill

I haven't had any luck putting a gen Datejust dial in a rep case. The gen dial was too small, say 28mm vs a rep dial at 29mm.

Same thing w/ a 16610 sub, the gen dial is smaller than the rep dial, so no swapping out. It's been my experience that a gen 16610 takes a 295C sapphire crystal (29.5mm), and a rep takes a 30.5mm crystal. So right there you can see that there is a basic 1mm difference.

Like Bill, I've found the digital calipers are indispensible, and alot of times, I'm buying parts just to see if they work. There are no guarantees that a gen part will fit a rep case, etc., but most of the time I'm finding that the rep dimensions don't match up with the gen.