When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Real Tourbillon?

bosk

river has it for ~$1800 with real center tourbillons

Thanks for every1's input. I was suspecting that its a second gen tourbillon as mentioned in some previous threads.

there are some interesting items on ebay listed as "tourbillon."

However, there are many reps are on my list (new IWC, SMP chrono, etc.) before I spend over 1K on a tourby rep. :lol:

Its a type 2 or "flying tourbillon regulateur". Why the type 2 with 4 screws in the design is often advertised as a "Regulateur" is only probably to distinguish it from the type 1 "flying duck" and to make it sound fancier. Both type 1 and 2 are basically the same type carousel system tourbillon and can be bought for less than $600 everywhere and from many of our dealers.

Breguet invented the original center post tourbillon in 1800 so purists claim it is the "true tourbillon" only from the fact it is the original. But the variant "carousel system", used in some Blancpain and others, was invented clear back as 1895 or 1920, depending on what claims you read and for all arguments on what a tourbillon is and does, the "carousel system" is a tourbillon but it depends on what side of the fence you are on regarding this if you want to call it a "real tourbillon." My personal opinion is that the "carousel" system is a tourbillon.

The centre post Chinese tourbis now coming out on the market should drop in price as they become more numerous, so just have patience. So of interest, in the genuine world, JLC shocked the world and announced around August they would be putting out for as low as a "mere 35,000 Euros" a "kill the goose that laid the golden egg for watchmakers" production line "Master Tourbillon". Gee, an affordable tourbillon for the masses, yeah right! :lol: But here is a fascinating breakdown of the new movement and watch. http://www.tp178.com/wsw/jlcforum/mas_tourb_02.htm

Doesn't his have a bridge across the complication, on the dial? I'm pretty sure that means it is not a tourbillon.

Some tourbillons have "bridges" some don't (it usually depends on whether or not they have a second hand attached--so that's not an indication of real or faux--the version in the OP is the same flying tourbillon described by omni. I can't wait for the center tourbillons to drop...with the bridge and a second hand attached it'll make the current muller flying tourbillon rep damn close to the gen.