When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Paneari Submersible 24

StormTooper4

So recently received my 24a from Mr Davidson and it got me thinking about the connected connotations associated with Dive watches in general.

pc190468.jpg

We know that Submariners are previously associated with Bond or more likely these days its seems tennis players.

I am neither a British secret agent in a DJ, bedding beauties, nor a playboy sports star moving round the international circuit.

pc190482.jpg

This is clearly an unfortunate situation that a firmly lay blame on the careers advice I received at school.

Then we have the likes of the intrepid explorer; the likes of Jacques Cousteau who for some reason I associate with the Omega Plopof though he could easily change allegiances to Doxa , Blancpain , IWC and even Rolex.

But this set the theme of survival and extremes, something I rarely face as I catch the bus to my office so again Ifind it hard to relate to.

pc190487.jpg

So that brings me to the Panerai Submersible, why does this watch currently resonate with me ? and who fiction wise or real life would I associate this to.

Now the connoisseur’s would say it belongs to a bunch of Italian fascist frogman, though I feel this link is tenuous at best and I doubt they wore a 24 or even a watch that told the time more the direction of where they should point the pig.

pc190485.jpg

So I have decide that I'm going to associate my 24a with Kirk Douglas's character Ned Land in the film 20000 Leagues under the Sea.

480px-20000leaguesposter.jpg

This watch screams "Steam Punk" to me and I reckon old Kirk would of worn one if he could.

The Panerai submersible doesn’t feel the need to shout how deep they go.

Nowhere does it proclaim its depth rating, be it Fathoms,(ft) Feet or Meters and that to me is one of its appeal its not trying to compete against any other watch.

Its bezel has no minute markers, its 5 minutes here and 12 clicks,

pc190469.jpg

What's 5 minutes between tank fills of Air, clearly not an issue because Kirk would be working in the engine room of a Submarine shovelling coal to the engines or saving the crew

pc190480.jpg

A woman I work with is particularly smitten by the watch and calls it a girlie watch .

I reckon that's because its curvaceous and has nipples, it is rather Art Deco' esq and smooth and really is in a League of its own.

pb290358.jpg

DSN really has come up Trumps withhis 24a, given that pre DSN's version , these happily changed hands for 1000$. Now I know its not perfect but its pretty good effort and seriously good value.

pc190474.jpg

The Cyclops on this is awesome and combined with the DW it really is up there with the best.

For the fanatic the lume is accurate for this watch. I kind of wish it was more a DSN glow powered job.

pc190483.jpg

The only criticism I have is thatcrown is 2mm too low, which is almost ironic because DSN manual winds have sometime in the past sat too high,this means that its not that easy to pull the crown out but its not a big issue and hardly noticeable.

The CG is a major plus in my books one of the best out of the box versions I've seen.

pc190478.jpg

This watch rocks and I know my pictures don't do it justice (someone on repgeek did a better job)

pc190464.jpg

If you want to treat yourself then go for it before he stops production you'll be really disappointed if you miss out.

These are really great watches, so embrace your inner steam punk.

20000LeaguesPic.jpg

ST4

Sweet review !! :rofl: Steam Punk - Love it !!

If I bought one I would have to be Peter Lorre !!

But I reckon you just want to wear tight stripey TShirts with your waist band up to your chest !!! (The Cowell look!!)

Do you reckon you have any adjustment in the tube to sort the Crown ??

Thanks for the chuckle :thumbsupsmileyanim: And I am glad you didnt go for Doug McClure !!!!

Sweet review !! :rofl: Steam Punk - Love it !!

Thanks for the chuckle :thumbsupsmileyanim: And I am glad you didnt go for Doug McClure !!!!

I will have you know the sailor look is very now this summer in the southern hemisphere.

But You know exactly what I am chatting here Peter!!! Doug McClure is Genius and another perfect example

warlords%20of%20atlantis%20320x240.jpg

Is stormtooper4 secretly J peterman from Seinfeld? :clapping:

JP_BIKE.jpg

[explaining why Elaine won't be accompanying him to Africa]

Mr. Peterman: I'm afraid it's your urine, Elaine. You've tested positive for opium.

Elaine: [astonished] Opium?

Mr. Peterman: That's right. White Lotus. Yam-yam. Shanghai Sally.

This is clearly one of his better offerings. Thanks for sharing.

One question: is the crown awfully close to the case, or is that the angle?

Yes Awfully, its a DSN Auto they are all the same