When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Aquaracer 500m ( tag orig mvmt SW200 vs eta 2824-2)

cougar1

What's the bloody difference between the two? Is this a gimmick? Both seem to have the exact same finishing and are 1:1 with the gen as far as parts interchange go:

http://www.1-pc8838.com/00tgaq00088-aquaracer-500m-automatic-ssss-black-orig-movt-p-9331.html

http://www.1-pc8838.com/tgaq01007-aquaracer-500m-automatic-ssss-black-swiss-2824-p-9323.html

Yeah I get that the first has the Sellita 200 clone as on the original, and the other the swiss eta but how exactly can they justify charging $60 more for the first?

Am I missing something? In the gen world the sellita 200 is regarded as being the inferior brother of the ETA 2824-2 so just what are we gaining here for this extra

$60? A sense that the internals have an exact copy of an inferior ETA modification?

I'm interested in this watch so I'd like to know ;)

I think it's mainly for asthetics sake to be honest, means someone can say "oh yes it's real, look, here is the movement, see? It's the same!!"

Other than that, I don't honestly know, will take one of the watch masters on the board to do a tear down review of the movement to see if there is any other advantage other than being able to say, it looks the same!!

Bit dicey on the scam front in my opinion also, most guys can tell the difference between movements by looking at them, this will open a fairly large door for people not in the know to get ripped off on the Bay etc!

Sixx :bones:

I think it's mainly for asthetics sake to be honest, means someone can say "oh yes it's real, look, here is the movement, see? It's the same!!"

Other than that, I don't honestly know, will take one of the watch masters on the board to do a tear down review of the movement to see if there is any other advantage other than being able to say, it looks the same!!

Bit dicey on the scam front in my opinion also, most guys can tell the difference between movements by looking at them, this will open a fairly large door for people not in the know to get ripped off on the Bay etc!

Thanks Sixx, yeah just what I was thinking, looks like a great rep though either way. Can't see myself pulling out another 60 dollars just to pay for the SW200. The eta will do fine. I get what you are saying about the the pinpoint accuracy and the scam potential, its gonna open a real can of worms in the future if they get accuracy so spot on, gonna need more than pics to tell reps from gen even for WIS. On the plus side for us it means that reps are improving dramatically with such close attention to detail from the factories. Onward and upward! ;)

Yeah you are right there!! I have the blue version, inaccurate to say the least, but I'm blind so f&*k it!! lol. It's an incredibly well made piece, the SELs are fantastic, the Rolex WIS's would be creaming their pants if the factories could get the Subs end links to fit so well!! The over all construction and quality is fantastic, like I said, I can't see so my fingers are super sensitive and I can feel things on a watch that people wouldn't even see. The quality of the cases and the bracelets are getting so good these days, it's like everyday is your birthday if you're a collector with a bit of cash!!

Still don't like the scamability (not a word I know, but I'm having it!! lol) of the clone movement though, but like you say, it's great news for us!!

Yeah you are right there!! I have the blue version, inaccurate to say the least, but I'm blind so f&*k it!! lol. It's an incredibly well made piece, the SELs are fantastic, the Rolex WIS's would be creaming their pants if the factories could get the Subs end links to fit so well!! The over all construction and quality is fantastic, like I said, I can't see so my fingers are super sensitive and I can feel things on a watch that people wouldn't even see. The quality of the cases and the bracelets are getting so good these days, it's like everyday is your birthday if you're a collector with a bit of cash!!

Still don't like the scamability (not a word I know, but I'm having it!! lol) of the clone movement though, but like you say, it's great news for us!!

Thanks, sounds great. I'm glad you give the thumbs up on the watch, will wait now till after xmas and then pull the trigger. You got it in blue! ....glutton for punishment! You knew they can never get blues right! ;) I love blue in this as well and I've probably too many black watches so I should go for it, we'll see. At least the blue the factories put on will guide you in the dark evenings. :)

As regards the scamability, I'm no WIS but I know the watches I like, mainly omega, you know yourself that theres still along way to go to get many omegas right if we were to examine every detail but with new releases like this tag, its getting to the stage that you could quite easily pull of the sale of something like this on many gen sales forums. That is a significant step up for the factories.

Lol, yeah the blue on this is apparently shocking, I the newer updated version is a better shade, but still wrong! lol. Might be a good candidate for a white dial?! Tag usually have real nice whites on their dials. I love the sound of the tuxedo dial too, think I will get the better version in black and have the crystal coated, don't care that the gen doesn't have it, but why make such a nice dial then hamper it with no AR?!

The black dial I just sold is amazing quality. It was the non-SW200 movement, but who cares? Sixx is right on the money. The fit and finish on this one is superb! The black dial is the only one to get in my opinion. It looks spot on :D

Thanks guys, I was reading your review red, superb stuff. Thats what prompted me into getting this, best rep I've seen in a while. Great review!

• 1 year later...

Thanks guys, I was reading your review red, superb stuff. Thats what prompted me into getting this, best rep I've seen in a while. Great review!

Cougar,

I know this thread is more than a year old...did you ever get this watch?

I was going to order the SW-200 version, but if the ETA is the better movement that's the one I want. If you ended up buying it, what's your opinion?

Thanks bro!

Hi Vandal, yeah I did get one, I ended up getting the black ETA clone, and to me that even looks superb, tbh I wasn't too overly concerned about the fully decorated finishing, that's why I went with the cheaper movement option, It's working great since then and is an all round lovely watch, hard to say a bad word against these 500m.

I don't think there's much difference between the quality of the movement from SW-200 to ETA here, afaik there have been many arguments down through the years criticising the sellita movements as poorer brothers or inferior clones of the ETA, but alot of this maybe just bull and negative marketing by eta.

Heres an interesting article explaining more:

http://www.ablogtoread.com/making-sense-of-the-sellita-sw200-movement-same-as-eta-2824-2/

So if you want the slight extra movement finishing then sw-200 is the way to go but imo dearer doesn't make much difference with these, the ETA and the SW200 are just as likely to be a chinese eta clone anyway ;)

+1 cougar1 :inverted:

I bought the Gen last year (black model) and soon after bought the rep as I heard so many good things about it. I didn't get the better movement as the couple of differences were not important for me, pearling movement and correct rotor from memory!

Man what a rep it is, compared so well to the Gen that I sold it within a week, it really is that close I just did the bracelet fix on it, greased seals and it was good to go. Still runs like a champ ;) and by the way the blue is way off the Gen B)

• Like 1

Yeah, agree with sgtguk, held one next to a gen and examine it aswell, they are superb replicas. Get the black!

The thing about the SW200 version is even though it does have some extra decoration as sgtguk said, I would have loved to see a full teardown to prove that it is a genuine sw200, but we never saw one for concrete proof? I'm sure it is a gen sellita but you never know with reps, it could just be another modded and decorated asian eta clone at a higher price?

You'd be pretty much right not to bother paying the extra, the externals are all the same on each of them. But if you want the extra pearling on the movement and rotor then sw200 is where it's at. Even the lowly eta clone version I bought is part decorated so they all looked pretty close, the movement is in a small window anyway.

Yeah, agree with sgtguk, held one next to a gen and examine it aswell, they are superb replicas. Get the black!

The thing about the SW200 version is even though it does have some extra decoration as sgtguk said, I would have loved to see a full teardown to prove that it is a genuine sw200, but we never saw one for concrete proof? I'm sure it is a gen sellita but you never know with reps, it could just be another modded and decorated asian eta clone at a higher price?

You'd be pretty much right not to bother paying the extra, the externals are all the same on each of them. But if you want the extra pearling on the movement and rotor then sw200 is where it's at. Even the lowly eta clone version I bought is part decorated so they all looked pretty close, the movement is in a small window anyway.

Funny thing is I don't like the way they filled the engraving on the rotor with paint on the SW-200. At least in the photos it looks sloppy. The pictures of the ETA look cleaner to me.

Funny thing is I don't like the way they filled the engraving on the rotor with paint on the SW-200. At least in the photos it looks sloppy. The pictures of the ETA look cleaner to me.

Maybe that's just the photo, not sure, really up to yourself which you go for at the end of the day, it really does just come down to wanting that extra pearlage and decoration on the sw200 or not.

Did you order yours?

Maybe that's just the photo, not sure, really up to yourself which you go for at the end of the day, it really does just come down to wanting that extra pearlage and decoration on the sw200 or not.

Did you order yours?

Yep, I ordered it a few days ago. Got the QC pics day before yesterday, and it just posted on EMS today. Thanks for the advice, I went with the ETA. I think it still looks nice without the pearlage..

Of course, I'll be writing another review when I get it! I'll probably use some of this discussion in the review since it went into my decision making on which one to buy.

This will probably be my last watch for a little while. I've ordered four in rapid succession, and want to enjoy these for a while before I start looking at my next one (but man that Hublot Diver 4000M looks cool!).

But I need to save up for a new TV, so I'm probably going to put watches on the back burner for a little while.

Good stuff Vandal, looking forward to the review...and pics!

I hear you about cutting back on the purchases, I have to do the same, my previous few purchases were bought on the basis that sales would fund them, I have quite a few to get rid of before I can even think about the next rep....and here I am still thinking about the Breitling superocean abyss and PAM177 :)

Good stuff Vandal, looking forward to the review...and pics!

I hear you about cutting back on the purchases, I have to do the same, my previous few purchases were bought on the basis that sales would fund them, I have quite a few to get rid of before I can even think about the next rep....and here I am still thinking about the Breitling superocean abyss and PAM177 :)

Well let me know what you're selling, maybe I would get on the wagon just yet!

Will do, :) I think we'll have to substitute another addiction for the watches in order to wean off them, I'm gonna start stacking up on an extended supply of some good whisky again soon :D

Speaking of whisky, a friend of mine (now my very dearest friend) sent me a bottle of 18 yr Glen Morangie scotch. I want to taste it so bad, but I also want to put it behind glass and just stare at it too. i know if I open it, it will be gone soon...

Speaking of whisky, a friend of mine (now my very dearest friend) sent me a bottle of 18 yr Glen Morangie scotch. I want to taste it so bad, but I also want to put it behind glass and just stare at it too. i know if I open it, it will be gone soon...

It's funny you mention Glenmorangnie Vandal.tbh, just tasted some of that over xmas but it was the 12 year old version, so your 18 year old should be superb....the 12 year old went lovely with a nice Montecristo No 4.

Enjoy :D