When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Q's on my first PAM

jdkno

I just recieved my first PAM' one of the new 111J's and had a few questions before I screwed something up.

This is my first hand wind so when winding it is there any way to tell that it is wound all the way? I would hate to break it by over winding.

Are the springbars really springbars that just look like screws or are they really screws that I will need to unscrew in order to remove the bracelet?

I ordered it with the SS bracelet and I need to re-size it. It looks like screws rather than pins is that correct or is it pins that just look like screws? Don't want to try the wrong thing and scratch something.

Thanks

Firstly

You will know when a 6497 is full would as you will not be able to wind it any more, it is quite opviose as the crown will not turn any more

The strap is attched with screws a 1.6mm screw driver is recomended

And if your bracelet is any thing like mine the screws in the side are to adjust it, i would also check the screws on the back if the links are the old style as they can also be loose

Firstly

You will know when a 6497 is full would as you will not be able to wind it any more, it is quite opviose as the crown will not turn any more

The strap is attched with screws a 1.6mm screw driver is recomended

And if your bracelet is any thing like mine the screws in the side are to adjust it, i would also check the screws on the back if the links are the old style as they can also be loose

+1

Excellent

Thanks just wound it a little more and sure enough it stopped.

For the lug screws, I will use the screwdriver but don't they make springbars that look like the screws and if so would it be a good idea to get some and replace the screws?

My bracelet does have screws on the backside so I will check them out to make sure they are tight. Once tight will I need to worry about them coming loose again? Should I put lock tight on them all?

I'd recommend sewing machine oil or all purpose oil. Oil for firearms should be fine. Search for threads about oiling bracelets. I hear using bicycle chain grease (something crazy like that) works great. When you go and do this take it slow and keep your parts in order.

Well I got it re sized without scratching it lol

I checked the screws on the back and some were loose. I did not have time to take it all apart so I just tightened them down for now. I am ordering a rubber strap so when that comes I will pull the bracelet apart and loctite all the screws.

I did run into one problem. When I went to unscrew the post at the 12o'clock lug it just kept turning without coming out. I put pressure on the otherside and it pushed out. Checking to see if the problem was the screw or the threads in the case I tried the screw from the 6o'clock lug and it worked just fine. Thinking I had a screwed up screw I decided to try it in the 6 position and it worked like it should. Needless to say I am confused but atleast it is together and I put blue loctite on them to make sure they stay put. Hope it won't be too hard to get them loose.

Don't they make springbars that look like the screws?

I used Break Free CLP on the bracelet and it seems to have done the job. It is pretty smooth and I cleaned it up with soapy water so the chemical shouldn't hurt me. I love the smell of gun oil by the way haha.

Overall I am happy with it, the CG sits tight to the case and the lever only protrudes a hair at the pin area. I take it a thinner o ring at the crown would take care of this. Lume on the dial is pretty good, the hands not so good but it will work for now till I decide to do a re-lume.