When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why is the new Explorer seem to be talking to me?

Prsist

I tried the gen on recently. It's very nice in the metal, and a surprisingly big improvement over the two previous generations of the Explorer. The only thing I don't like is the length of the hands: they're too short.

The rep looks good. Major flaws are the dial finish (glossy, not matte) and lume color (green, not blue). Less significant are the crystal height (slightly too high), and the overall shape of the case, though that's a common complaint with pretty much every Datejust rep.

1. Major flaws are the dial finish (glossy, not matte) 2. Less significant are the crystal height (slightly too high)

1 and 2 both not true for the 2010 version. Gen has gloss dial and higher crystal hight than rep. I own the rep and I must say it is pretty damn accurate! Besides that I can't really tell what should be wrong with the shape of the case...

1 and 2 both not true for the 2010 version. Gen has gloss dial and higher crystal hight than rep. I own the rep and I must say it is pretty damn accurate! Besides that I can't really tell what should be wrong with the shape of the case...

Maybe it wasn't clear in my post, but it was the 2010 version (214270) that I tried on. And it is the 2010 Explorer that has a matte dial, as opposed to the deep gloss of the 14270 and 114270.

Regarding the crystal height and case profile:

1084048788_yn7b8-X3.jpg

As for the sheen of the dial, it's much more noticeable in person than in pictures, but here are a couple:

1143035674_YJ48Z-X3.jpg

1143035655_KSgUJ-X3.jpg

The lower picture exaggerates the difference a bit. But under a direct light, the 214270's dial shows as a very dark shade grey, similar to the Milgauss's.

I tried the gen on recently. It's very nice in the metal, and a surprisingly big improvement over the two previous generations of the Explorer. The only thing I don't like is the length of the hands: they're too short.

The rep looks good. Major flaws are the dial finish (glossy, not matte) and lume color (green, not blue). Less significant are the crystal height (slightly too high), and the overall shape of the case, though that's a common complaint with pretty much every Datejust rep.

Seeing the comparison pictures, I definitely agree that the hands are too short. Infact, seeing the comparisons, I would say that the Explorer just looks oversized. Not as in a large watch which is supposed to be large, but simply one which is too big (possibly because of the issue with the hands) As for the dial finish, well, that's nothing a little matte varnish can't cure, then a trip to the spa for a relume in blue :good: (of course, pretty redundant to perform mods on a watch which just 'feels wrong' to start off with :D )

I've been talking to a couple of guys about ideas for modding the 214270 rep. Reluming in blue would be straightforward enough, but it might be possible to spray-matte the dial. I'm not sure if you would need to mask the applied markers, or if you could just wipe them off after. If someone mods it successfully, then I'll gladly copy what they did!

Don't get me wrong, though: I think the rep looks fantastic as-is. My holding out for a V2 or Ultimate is just an excuse for being cheap.

I've been talking to a couple of guys about ideas for modding the 214270 rep. Reluming in blue would be straightforward enough, but it might be possible to spray-matte the dial. I'm not sure if you would need to mask the applied markers, or if you could just wipe them off after. If someone mods it successfully, then I'll gladly copy what they did!

Don't get me wrong, though: I think the rep looks fantastic as-is. My holding out for a V2 or Ultimate is just an excuse for being cheap.

The easiest thing to do, is to carefully remove the applied markers (edge of a post-it note does the job well) then spray the varnish, then replace the markers :) They're just 'pin and hole' fitting, so no need for epoxy when replacing them :good:

I stand corrected. You guys are right about the flaws..... but it's such a damn cool and versatile watch to wear ;)

Likewise, I stand corrected, despite the 'flaws' from the comparison photo, the watch looks fantastic on your wrist :good::drinks:

The easiest thing to do, is to carefully remove the applied markers (edge of a post-it note does the job well) then spray the varnish, then replace the markers :) They're just 'pin and hole' fitting, so no need for epoxy when replacing them :good:

There you go with the simple, obvious answer I never once considered! :doh: