When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC 3717 Laureus Chrono movement/dial/day/date swap

mrboombasteke

I've only had the Laureus Chronograph (3717-12) for 1 month and it's already dead. No clue what's wrong, but it wasn't purchased new. Noticed running seconds at 9 stopped and chrono pushers don't do anything either. Regardless, I always planned to mod it and I'm wondering if I can do a direct swap with a swiss eta 7750 without any special modifications. Also, is it possible to change the dial entirely to a 3717-04 dial (the black dial with red second hand)...maybe gen. Since I've never done this before, I'm looking for advice on whether to even consider this undertaking myself or whether to just cut my losses now before I F something up. Here are my thoughts for sourcing the parts:

1. ETA 7750 movement from ebay ($300)
  2. Black 3717-04 dial and hands ($???)
  3. ETA or gen day/date wheel ($???)

Anything else I should consider? Thanks in advance.

laureus2.jpg

borrowed pic unknown source

the hands will likely have to be modified to fix an ETA movement as well ... unless you have one of the old low beat A7750's.

Dial and day/date wheels will be fine from a fit perspective. The 3717-01 and 3717-04 dials are different from what you currently have, as are the hands. You could turn the watch into one of them, but you'd have to replace both.

If you like the watch, then either get your existing movement serviced, or get the ETA 7750.

Edited by tomhorn

Thanks Tom. I like the watch, but I'd like to make it a 3717-01. I can order an ETA movement for this project, but I just wanted to make sure the dial/hands along with the movement would NOT require any special mods to fit.

BTW, I just removed the movement and took out the crystal. :thumbsupsmileyanim: I'm trying to figure out how to get the hands off now. I'd like to get AR for the crystal and I've heard chief's AR is at times better than gen AR. I suppose I could just send it to chief while I wait for my ETA movement. Do I need some sort of press to get it back on??

Edited by mrboombasteke