When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Has anyone compared BK's TW vs WM9 v3?

tabularasa415

I was initially brought to the forum on my search for the best replica Submariner I could find for the $$$. Of course, after a great deal of reading that left me to BK's Watch Garage.

I placed an order for a WM9 v3, but to my chagrin, they were all gone. Of course, BK offered me his newest eddition, the TW gen style Submariner replica.

My question is have any of my RWG brothers ordered BK's newest edition in the form of the TW? If so, have you had a chance to compare it against the WM9 v1, 2 or 3?

I have a TW being built for me now. Is a genuine crown, insert and after market tube worth the upgrade? How about a genuine bezel insert?

Thanks for the replies that I'm sure are to come... relying on all of your wisdom here :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I don't think that there are enough of the TW's out yet to have a good side by side comparison. I would say that over the next few weeks, as more are delivered, some good reviews will be posted.

As to your parts question. Every genuine part you add will make the watch more credible. What the deciding factor becomes is the cost /effect ratio. Is it worth 250-300 USD to replace the bezel? possibly if you have the resources and you want the watch to be as close to genuine as possible. We had a really detailed conversation on a thread a month or so ago, relative to modding a DSRD 1665. how much would most folks be willing to spend on making the 1665 as close to genuine as possible. What the consensus was, you could spend around 20% of the cost of a genuine to build a "super franken". So if the cost of a genuine 1665 DRSD is around 15k, you could spend around 3k on your "Super Franken". With the 16610, you have another story altogether. I have a genuine "P" series 16610 that I paid 3250.00 USD for a few weeks ago. So based on that, you could afford to spend around 650-700 USD. including the cost of the watch. Considering that ratio, you couldn't afford to spend much more than a genuine Crown and insert. I would say the crown,insert and aftermarket tube are definite pluses. Possibly a genuine crystal (At least get Burt to replace the rep crystal with a Clark crystal) would be nice, but a genuine bezel would entail a replacement retaining ring and gaskets as well as a genuine bezel probably looking at 300.00 USD plus for that upgrade.

Another thing to remember, you can take a 400.00 USD watch and add genuine parts and pretty quick you have a 900.00 USD watch! If you need to sell it, you are going to take a pretty big hit. I have sold exactly two modded watches for what I had in them, and they were both very desirable and rare. The others, probably 25-30 were sold at a loss, some pretty considerable.That is just the history with Replica watches.

Hope this helps.

The TW is the same as WM9 V1. I still like the V1 best. It had the best crystal, the nicest dial, the best end links of all rolex reps, the best clasp... It needs some mods, but it definitely is a very good starting point.

Considering the lower price I'd take the TW in a heartbeat.