When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA 2824 Problem - Help me solve this

Migge

Fellow enthusiasts,

I have a 2824 movement that charges poorly via the rotor, when manually wound it gets a good power reserve though.

So, off with the case back, and check if anything is obviously wrong, remove the rotor and check the "bearings" (Sorry I am not familiar with the english word, I only know it in swedish). Everything looks ok with that.

So I put the rotor back on, check with a loupe while I "manually" turn the rotor. So I turn it to the right, ok, face down crown on the left side,

then I start turning the rotor to the left (still face down, crown on left side) after turning it a few rounds I release it and it starts spinning to the right with force.

So, what is the problem? What say you?

Thankfull for any insights you may have,

Mike

Sounds like a "Reverser wheels" issue.

Couldn't know without having the movement on me desk.

A service should clear it up.

Thanks for the answer K,

but thoose were the words I was hoping not to hear. I am to unfamiliar with the autowinding mechanisms and

a service is absolutely not alowed in my budget...

Mike

I quick try for you is to remove the auto wind bridge and pop it in isopropenol alcohol in the utlraschal cleaner and give it a good clean and then give it a try again, if that loosens up the auto winder reversing wheels then it is just a case of oiling them with a very little 9010 (off the top of my head)and you may be fixed.

I quick try for you is to remove the auto wind bridge and pop it in isopropenol alcohol in the utlraschal cleaner and give it a good clean and then give it a try again, if that loosens up the auto winder reversing wheels then it is just a case of oiling them with a very little 9010 (off the top of my head)and you may be fixed.

Cheers Andy, I guessed you would jump in on this question.

Again damn, the only thing that lead me to believe it would not be the reversing wheel is that the rotor does not spin while manually winding the movement...

Beein partially disabled as of now LOL and not having any oils at home I guess this baby will be put in the box untill I saw up some cash for a service.

Thanks a lot for you answers, its truly appreciated.

I have a complete Gen. Bridge and rotor. :drinks:

Send me your address and perhaps that will buy you some time.

You are still gonna need to get a service :wounded1:

That is so kind and generous of you, but I cant accept it, I will have a hard time paying it forward....

I have been gifted so much from this forum, in fact I got this watch gifted and its an MBK AP.

I can never really give back as much as I have gotten, all I have been able to gift are some spare links,

a handset and a bracelet over this two years. So m!y "gift" bank is on minus......

I truly appreciate the gesture though K!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Did this solve the problem? I have two ETA movements that look as if they have been exposed to light moisture a LOOOONG time ago. Both seem to work for a little bit but I have to hand wind them. One(ETA 2873) will take the hand wind, but unwind immediately (takes three seconds to loose all motion) i'm hoping its just a case of cleaning and oiling. The other one(ETA 2846) seems to have a rusted stem(outside of the movement is pitted where it goes inside the movement it's pristine) and this one spins and engages all functions, but won't take a charge) Any ideas?

E