When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Skyland Blacksteel Lume

smc

7 members have voted

1. 1. Should I lume my subdial hands?

• No bloody way!
    • Just the tip of the running seconds hand - white
    • Just the tip of the running seconds hand - orange
    • Yup, tips white
    • Yup, tips orange

I have one rep.

I wear that one rep more than my gen Submariner, or my gen Breitling B1, or any of my other gen watches. Ok, you get the point. I really like my Skyland Blacksteel v2.

The problem is... I'm also a lume junky.

I've decided to send the Blacksteel to The Zigmeister for some Tritec love but I have a question that is a little unorthodox and I'm undecided. I would like to be able to see the chrono elapsed time at night but putting lume on those red hands would be huge departure from gen. Am I crazy or should I ask The Zigmeister to do it? I was thinking of having the top 1/4 of each of the hands lumed. Maybe orange?

Thanks!

BTW. The watch was ordered and received from Sead in the dying days of 2010. I greased the seals, and regulated it to ~+3 seconds per day (it has the micro regulator which made it easier). I use the chrono many times per day. It has been to Cuba, diving to a depth not more than 30ft, and abused on coral and on the beach. There is not a scratch on it. Not even the buckle - pretty impressive IMHO. The only issue I have is that the lume sucks, and the hour subdial hand sometimes moves off zero, although a reset fixes it.

5411055101_e5d9cf369e_b.jpg

photo1.jpg

Zig did the same job for my former Skyland Blacksteel. I also had the crystal AR-ed by Chieftang and added a gen buckle.

To answer your question, I would like to ask you a question. You have only one rep and it seems that you own several genuine high end watches. And you also decided to buy V2, so I am assuming that it is very important that you could pass a rep off as a gen. Right?

So... would you also consider to lume the hands if it was a genuine Breitling Blacksteel?

If so.. go for it. If not, leave it!

:whistling:

Zig did the same job for my former Skyland Blacksteel. I also had the crystal AR-ed by Chieftang and added a gen buckle.

To answer your question, I would like to ask you a question. You have only one rep and it seems that you own several genuine high end watches. And you also decided to buy V2, so I am assuming that it is very important that you could pass a rep off as a gen. Right?

So... would you also consider to lume the hands if it was a genuine Breitling Blacksteel?

If so.. go for it. If not, leave it!

:whistling:

Awesome response man. I actually tell everyone it's a rep, and direct them to these forums if they are interested. Your post made me realize that I think I would consider luming the gen if I had one. I don't, and probably never will. The Blacksteel is my beater watch and I doubt I would wear the real one for fear of scratching the finish. The other watches can be refinished - not so with the Blacksteel.

So i guess the real question is: do I lume them all or just the seconds, white or orange?

I don't get why you would do that? How accurately do you think you will be able to read your elapsed chrono time in pitch black conditions? Have you memorized the values on each subdial? As there are no cutouts on the hands for lume, you'd have to just throw a blob on the end which would look stupid. Also, the intensity and duration of lume is directly affected by the amount that you put on there, so in all likelihood your subdial hands would only glow for a minute or two. Hope that you are not planning on timing anything longer than that. There is a reason why Breitling never lumed those hands in the first place ;)