When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PO 5th Gen water resistance.

Pakz

I'm on the verge of ordering one (most probably orange bezel and bracelet) but I'm wondering about the "watertightness" of the watch out of the box...

From what I've seen in the various pictures here, the He valve does not sit completely on the body: is that a potential source of leaks?

OK, I know that you shouldn't really expect any real waterproofness from a rep, but many are usable for the occasional bath/swim... Is it the case of the 5th generation PO?

Thanks for sharing your experience regarding that point!

Edited by Pakz

Josh says all his watches over $200 are water proofed.

First of.. the dealer is the last place i'd ever trust to waterproof any watch. Always better to test yourself before trusting the dealer. With as many loose casebacks, loose screws and missing o-rings that many of our watches come with... I'd be VERY cautious about taking our dealers for their word that their watches are waterproof.

The PO should be fine. If you want to get it pressure tested see if a watchsmith neaer you has the appropriate equipment to do so. In any case, I don't think that the PO he valve not sitting flush has to do with waterproofness.. The important thing is that it's airtight when screwed downa and has the appropriate gaskets greased on both the valve, crown, and caseback. If you really want to make sure the HE valve is safe, epoxy it shut from the inside of the case so that there is no possibility of water entering :)

Thanks for the info...

Anyway I was not going to go for a swim without a check first. And I do take the words of our dealers for what it's worth... marketing. I've had many great transactions with Josh, but I don't really expect him to provide me with a really serious check of water tightness, and even more, if the watch is deficient on that point, I'm not too convinced he really does work on it for solving the matter !

I'm a bit reassured from your opinions on that... Still would like even better if someone could share some experiences from their actual watches in water! That'd be a great piece of info for me and everyone planning to get one of these babies.