When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How Much Is Too Much To Spend On A Rep?

dabom

Personally, I'd spend no more than about $325 on an 'out of the box' rep. However, it's easy to get carried away with projects - tracking down a decent case, the ideal movement, getting custom straps / dials etc. are all affordable individually, but the price soon spirals out of control! I think that once you've got a project going, it's more of a hobby than consumerism - therefore the extra cost involved becomes justifiable. Then again, it's 6am and I'm rambling :yawn:

I think though that I will start searching for smartly priced gens with

original style and real history, if such a thing exists.... and see where

that takes me....if not far, then I can always come back to replicas.. ^_^

Conversations with TeeVee can do that. :whistling:

I most honestly think that the replica section of watches has to be explained differently. I dont have too many replica watches, I have been with RWG, well the old RWG for two years and within this period have only bought 3 reps. PAM 111, black submariner and a PAM 183. The black submariner is almost fully modded, I'd say 85% modded, the PAM 183 is at Palpatines and is on its way to being fully modded, with canon pinon, etc.... All that remains is the PAM 111, but it is so far off from the new PAM111 H, i am thinking of just sacking that and getting the ultimate fiddy instead. Anyways.... thats besides the point...

I think this whole replica craze, be it obvious or not, is not about necessarily owning watches that look like the real thing so we can walk around boasting and pretending to own something we do not (although some people do it exactly for that reason and I think thats somewhat sad, but thats my opinion). Any fool who sees someone cruising in a Golf 1 or some piece of junk and wearing our watches or even a breitling bentley and driving a somewhat cheaper BMW or BENZ, well realize oh man, what a fake. I dont necessarily go about telling everyone that the watch I wear is a rep, but if they ask I say yes. If they just stare without saying, i dont mention jack [censored].

I think the, lets say, "ART of REPLICAS or REPLICATING" is indeed an art. In essence, portraiters or sketchers (what i do as a hobby, some might have seen my pics) are replicating things too. I replicate faces with pencil or sceneries. Model builders are creating small size replicas. Although most people don't see it that way and rather as a crime to replicate such high value items, i think its an art and to try and use such skills as some of our great people here have like Palpatine, The Zigmeister, and Joe, to make reps look much more closer to the original thing is indeed a difficult thing that takes practice. To achieve such perfection is truely an art. I am not really as excited about wearing a 99% look alike, rather than I am of the process of it being made to look like the real thing. My job might not depict me as an artist, but I truely am in the heart and I have a passion for good looking things... yes ladies, but WATCHES too, i mean i just love what they look like. I have numerous watches that are not reps, but no were over 300 EU, but still i think that they look good...and thats my addiction... and to be able to be part of the process of making somewhat bad looking reps good, being part of the formation... thats my ultimate addiction, but my addiction has a limit... the limit of my bank account... sadly.. if i had more cash available for such a hobby or a better job, I'd be owning as many watches as some of you guys out there...

;) cheers, enjoy your bloody reps, be happy for what they are and not for what you could have. Let those lawyers and bastards think we are committing crimes, but in reality they do not feel what we feel! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Your friend,

Viennawatch

For me I used to think 500$ was my max... It still is somehow but since I discovered the enormous satisfaction I get from modding I am willing to go further... but that would not be by 'paying someone' to do mods. I would only spend it on genuine parts that would make a visual more perfect and usable rep. Waterproofing, gen crystal, gen crown, better engravings etc. As I do most of it myself it is not much more expensive exept for the material. I like the hunt for cheap gen parts as well. It is hard to reach 500$ anyway.... a vj72 for a DW 6263 will do the job.... and I would definitely go for that...