When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What Tools Do I Need To Do A Cg Mod On A Sub And A Explorer Ii, Start To Finish?

bklm1234

I have a couple cheap reps I can screw around with so I want to give it a try. I have absolutely no tools at all. Can somebody tell me all the tools I need for the job from start to finish. I know I need to remove the crown so I need to open the case back; remove the bezel so I don't scratch it; possibly remove the movement (should I?); file down the CGs; polish them. So I need tools to do these. Thanks.

Edited by bklm1234

I have a couple cheap reps I can screw around with so I want to give it a try. I have absolutely no tools at all. Can somebody tell me all the tools I need for the job from start to finish. I know I need to remove the crown so I need to open the case back; remove the bezel so I don't scratch it; possibly remove the movement (should I?); file down the CGs; polish them. So I need tools to do these. Thanks.

Sounds to me like I am a couple of months ahead of you.

If you are going to dril the lugs, I suggest you do that first - it is a real misery to see a beautiful CG job go in the trash because you broke off a bit in a lug hole.

You need a:

Case back opener - don't get the super cheapee as it is a POS

1.2mm screw driver to release the stem - don't even think about using anything else

GOOD set of jewelers screw drivers. Everyone needs one of these if they are going to do anything on a watch.

Set of good Swiss files - even the really good ones don't cost much. Do use files, not a Dremel - it doesn't take long by hand and you'll do a more precise job.

Dremel Vise - you can get on Amazon, It is a small, table top vise with rubber in the jaws that will hold your watch still very nicely, and makes an effective tool to press bezel rings into place with the right adapter.

Magnifying glass of some sort to inspect your work.

Dremel and polishing accesories to polish up after you are done. The vertical mill accesory makes it nice.

Crown guard tube insertion tool - new style, 6mm - assuming you are replacing the tube/crown with OEM

Silicone grease for O-Rings

Swiss Army knife for removing bezels, crystal retaining rings, etc.

A patient wife.

I may edit this later -- telephone conference so gotta go

Bill

Start with the Rolex case opener- Bergeon makes one w/ 6 caseback dies and the wrench. Of course, you'll probably only use the largest die.

You need some screwdrivers, esp. the 1.2mm to release the crown on an ETA. On an asian 21j, you just have to depress a button, right next to the stem, about the same location as ETA release. I always remove the movement.

A case knife is good for removing the bezel.

I like to remove the case tube, it makes it easier to file w/o tearing up the threads on the case tube. I bought the AF tool from Hong Kong on ebay to remove the case tube, or the end of a three sided file may work- take out the inside o-ring first and unscrew the case tube- sometimes you have to jam the tool or file in there to get enough torque to unscrew it. This is probably the toughest part.

A set of needle files (cheap at Harbor Freight), I use wet/dry sandpaper after filing and then polishing compound. A Dremel can be used for the final polishing, but I do OK just by hand.

Clean up the case, put the case tube back in- might want to glue it or use loc-tite if you're trying to WP, snap on the bezel, clean-up the inside and put in the movement and crown, silicone the o-rings and put the caseback on. With any luck, you'll be WP and have a nice set of cg's.

You might look around for the tool kit that I saw on Amazon last month for $60- 30 tools or so in a fold-up case. They're not the greatest, but I still use mine all the time. And of course buying a good set of screwdrivers is well worth the money. Good Luck.