When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replating Case Sides?

pr0digy30

Have an old 21J Daytona... my first rep, that unfortunately had a bad allergy to a Cape Cod cloth. The plating on the side came off, while I can re-polish it after tarnishes back to a copper-like color.

Yes it's only a 21J, but it was my first and only rep for many years... so I feel a duty to keep it in good shape.

What would getting the sides replated entail? I don't know if it's possible just to replate the sides or if the whole watch has to be done... the lugs are heavily brushed, but are cosmetically fine.

Yeah it looks like a chrome plating over brass. Here's a pic I took awhile back, you can see the area I only "polished" with the Cape Cod. I can repolish with a Cape Cod and bring it back somewhat, but after a few days the brassy color comes back.

imag0039aw.jpg

Edited by pr0digy30

Hi, had a similar problem some years ago. My advice is to forget it, since the costs are incredibly high. You have to remove the old plating, prepare it chemically for a new chrome plating, and so on...

The costs were around €150 - 200... :whistling:

But as I said: some years ago...

Yeah it looks like a chrome plating over brass. Here's a pic I took awhile back, you can see the area I only "polished" with the Cape Cod. I can repolish with a Cape Cod and bring it back somewhat, but after a few days the brassy color comes back.

imag0039aw.jpg

Don't get yourself down pr0digy!!

Time for a new watch!!!

I can't see the whole thing being brass/copper... I think it's just the plating on the side. Makes me wonder if I had it ground down to bare SS and "polished up" from there... if that would work?

I don't see what kind of plating they would put on top of stainless steel...

Stainless steel cases are solid stainless steel.. There's no plating involved in the polishing process.. Just lots of jewelers rouge and a polishing wheel..

If it's bronze beneath your polished watch.. it's not a solid stainless steel watch. There'd be no point in the dealers to take a stainless steel case.. dip it in bronze or brass.. just to put chrome plating on it again. They would have done like they do with most watches. forged and cut a piece of stainless steel... The polished it

My friend, I guarantee you: there is no SS!

As plaifender said: it's time for a new case/watch.

Had the same thing with a 6263 daytona in 2003 - these were hard to get, but investing a high amount of money without any guarantee that it will last....forget and release...

Hard, but true....

Good luck, and don't despite!

J

I'm not a metallurgist but why would the brassy/copper color disappear when I repolish with a Cape Cod?

In any case, I'll just keep her in my watch box... and give her a one-day polish when I want to wear it out. She's an old girl, been around the globe a few times... stopped working once when dropped on the floor of the Hilton BKK. Miraculously came back to life on a plane between Bangkok and Malaysia!