When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

QC pix received.....

Guest mikemcnair

Guest jsuperman17

that rep is totally off man.. but good pick up... i had the gen.. you can get the gen for like 1k to 1.1k... no use to get the rep.. but try it out first .... if you like it.. go gen..

Guest mikemcnair

that rep is totally off man.. but good pick up... i had the gen.. you can get the gen for like 1k to 1.1k... no use to get the rep.. but try it out first .... if you like it.. go gen..

i know, and i am cool with that.

honestly, i wasn't even looking at details other than my criteria, which were as follows: 1) SHINY BLUE DIAL, 2) STEEL (heavy) watch, and 3) NUMBERS on dial, not "dots". this filled the criteria to a T. oh, and 4) gen eta mvmnt, which this has (although it is a 2824 as opposed to a 2836).

i honestly didnt care if it was very accurate to gen, i just wanted what i wanted. turns out there are differences (like the original old version of the gen is 42mm and this is 44) as well as some other "tells", but i didnt care, i just wanted what i was looking for. and frankly, i have NEVER SEEN a watch that fit my criteria in person, and doubt i ever will, so when i found this one, i was excited smile.gif

found this, which is kinda confusing, but looks like there have been MANY different versions of this watch.........

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/breitling...elp-440220.html

i know, and i am cool with that.

honestly, i wasn't even looking at details other than my criteria, which were as follows: 1) SHINY BLUE DIAL, 2) STEEL (heavy) watch, and 3) NUMBERS on dial, not "dots". this filled the criteria to a T. oh, and 4) gen eta mvmnt, which this has (although it is a 2824 as opposed to a 2836).

i honestly didnt care if it was very accurate to gen, i just wanted what i wanted. turns out there are differences (like the original old version of the gen is 42mm and this is 44) as well as some other "tells", but i didnt care, i just wanted what i was looking for. and frankly, i have NEVER SEEN a watch that fit my criteria in person, and doubt i ever will, so when i found this one, i was excited smile.gif

found this, which is kinda confusing, but looks like there have been MANY different versions of this watch.........

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f74/breitling...elp-440220.html

You just joined..

Trust me you'll find a watch that fits your criteria. I honestly can't believe you've never seen a watch that fits your criteria... I can think of quite a few watches that would fit your criteria:

The Blue Superocean steelfish almost perfectly fits your criteria and looks way better than this. You're sure a gen dial will even fit this rep? Even more importantly.. How do you know a GEN bezel will fit this? It's a crap shoot, unless this Rep is a 1:1 version.

Skyland Avenger with blue dial would also fit your criteria

A breitling colt would fit your criteria

A Breitling seawolf fits your criteria

Not to sound condescending... but you know you can't just franken-ize Any watch you want? Looking at your Join date.. you look to be new to the watch game. Secondly... Dials for any breitling are hard to come by and bezels even harder.... Then the question arises whether it will fit the rep case....

sorry, I just don't want you to get your heart broken when you realize your rep is not indeed franken ready :( ...

p.s. our rep breitling bezels are Press Fitted with non functional screws. The gen bezels are held to the case with the bezel screws.

Guest mikemcnair

You just joined..

THIS FORUM, yes, but i have been shopping reps and owning them for 15 years, dont let the "join date" or post count fool you sir. ;)

Trust me you'll find a watch that fits your criteria. I honestly can't believe you've never seen a watch that fits your criteria... I can think of quite a few watches that would fit your criteria:

The Blue Superocean steelfish nope, not all numbers 1-12 ;)

You're sure a gen dial will even fit this rep? Nope, but i can try :) Smidsy and i are gonna work on it and see.

Even more importantly.. How do you know a GEN bezel will fit this? It's a crap shoot: yup, sure is, but i like it, isnt that enough? sheesh.

Skyland Avenger with blue dial would also fit your criteria : nope. its a chrono, me no likey.

A breitling colt would fit your criteria: nope, dashes instead of actual NUMBERS.

A Breitling seawolf fits your criteria: YES AND NO: the titanium one has the numbers yes and i just sold one because it is too light, i didnt like it. also, the dial was more of a dark matte blue, not SHINY, and the SS one is almost ONLY found as a chrono. again, not liking the chrono for me.

Not to sound condescending... you do, because you have no idea who i am, and how many forums i am a member of for watches. so, not to sound rude, but read carefully what my criteria was, and that i am pleased with what i found, regardless of its authenticity.

but you know you can't just franken-ize Any watch you want? of course, that's why i will get it, take lots of measurements, and see what my options are :)

Looking at your Join date.. you look to be new to the watch game. NOPE.

Secondly... Dials for any breitling are hard to come by and bezels even harder: in some cases this is correct, other, not so much. depends who you know and where you look ;)

Then the question arises whether it will fit the rep case: see above about measurements (although, if it is a 44mm case, a 35.2-35.7 should be able to fit depending upon the rehaut (if any) is in the rep case.

sorry, I just don't want you to get your heart broken when you realize your rep is not indeed franken ready: no need for apology, and i thank you for the fair warning. but have faith, this is not my first rodeo :)

p.s. our rep breitling bezels are Press Fitted with non functional screws. The gen bezels are held to the case with the bezel screws. yes, i am aware, but thanks for the tip. :thumbup:

again, i cannot stress this enough, i bought what i wanted, not what i wanted something to be. if that makes sense. i like it, and that's the most important part to me. in all reality, i am tempted to remove the breitling logo from the dial just to prove this point. (plus i have some neat ideas for a logo to put there, and have someone who will do custom lettering on a dial for me :) )

So let me get this straight:

You buy a watch that's completely off, because it is the only one in the world that will fit your criteria.

You are going to buy gen parts for it (which I guarantee wont fit), but you don't care about it being a Breitling and would even remove the logos.

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but go ahead.. Considering what your tries and definive errors are going to cost you and the time it will consume you could have just bought a gen Colt for around 800 Euros..

Could be a case of Post-purchase rationalization though.. :drinks:

colt0eav.jpg

If you like the watch you bought as it is, sure, fine. But why try to put gen parts on it? Especially if you dont want the logos on it since it's not accurate?!

Edited by Tom Hawkes

Guest mikemcnair

Your post purchase rationalization theory is off, I specifically sought out this watch, and sold the titanium seawolf (look in the FS section here ;) ) because it was close, bit not exactly what I wanted.

As for gen parts, I like to tinker, I wanna see what I can do with it. If nothing, so be it.

I wanna know why the [censored] you guys care so much about authenticity. I LIKE THE [censored] WATCH, the first time I saw I I loved it, plain and simple. If I wanted a super rep I would get one(my ult dssd is damn near perfect, and I have a YM for my son which is amazing) but I just Liked THIS one.

If you read closely in the rep reviews in the faq's in here, the last wath listed is this one, and it even says "a shitty rep that's not close to gen, avoid" but I don't care, I like the look.

And thanks for the pix of the colt, I had not seen those versions. But I don't like the bezel on the one, and the other has a weird color to the dial (first two pix) then there is the half "bulls eye" looking rings that encompass half the dial, what's that all about?

Regardles, I appreciate those pix, but that's not for me.

Guest mikemcnair

And looking closer to the pix you posted, one is the SO, one of the colds has weird bezel, 2 are GMT's (what's that all about?) the last 2 are close to my taste but not digging the gold logo on the dial(I just can't do gold) and one of those 2 doesn't even have a pearl.

Are they reps (other than the pix from breit src obv) ?

Mike:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wearing a rep (or rather watch) thats not accurate to the gen counterpart. I have had a couple of reps that werent accurate at all myself, but I liked the watch itself. So that's totally OK in my book..

The reason why people are "caring" is:

- You post QC pics with low post count and without further comment.

- People try to "help" and point out "flaws" and point you to the "right" direction.

- You say that you don't care about flaws, that you will get rid of the logo, that you bought the watch just cause it is the only one with a blue dial and numbers and in steel.

- People tell you that it would be cheaper to buy a gen which will fit your criteria...

- Again you don't care about gens or the watch being accurate, but still want to "tinker" with gen parts..

The only reason why you would try to source rare and expensive parts that wont fit anyway, is to make the watch more accurate.

You see? Doesn't make much sense. But go ahead, be happy and have fun. :drinks:

The pictures I posted were just to show you that there are a bunch of steel Breitlings with blue dial and numbers.

The great thing about the blue dialed Breitlings is that the colour of the blue varies a lot depending on the light and the angle you look at it. So what you see on the picture is NOT what you get.

They are either 41 or 42 mm. (With exception of the bottom two. Old models with 38 or 40 mm.)

Whats your problem with GMT? Is that another criteria? No GMT? It's steel, blue dial, numbers on dial..

All logos are WHITE gold on the gens. Not yellow gold.

All of them can be put on a Professional 1 OR Professional 2 bracelett. (With maybe the superocean being the exception. The bottom two only fit the professional 1 bracelett.)

The one without the pearl is the new GMT.

All of the watches are gens.

If your watch has to be 44 mm than you don't have any other choice than the watch you bought. Unless it can be quartz and chrono (I know, you don't likey chrono.. ;) But the Skyland that plaifender mentioned doesn't even come in blue dial, so..)

breitling-avenger-seaws9xv.jpg

Anyway: Don't feel insulted when people try to help you and have fun with your purchase. That's the most important thing. :drinks:

Edited by Tom Hawkes

point taken. Have fun finding parts.

My only gripe was that with the MYRIAD of information on the forum about thousands of watches out there. You tout this one as if it were your last desperate attempt at finally finding a watch that you actually like.

The point was that plenty of watches fit your loose criteria. If you had just left it.. "I like this watch a lot".. I wouldn't have said anything.. but you angled your statement to make it seem as if you've never been able to find a watch that fits your criteria until this one.. Sorry to say mate.. In the history of watch making.. I'm sure there's more than 3 or 4 other breitlings in the world that fit your criteria. This thread has completely neglected other brands that also might meet your criteria.. but what's important is that you like it.

Secondly, the way you non-chalantly mentioned that you have gen parts on the way for this random, not-too-accurate, breitling..really made it sound like you had high hopes for such a mediocre watch (as far as accuracy and quality for lots of our nice Breit reps is concerned). This watch doesn't even appear to have AR. Thus, your post gave me the idea that you were a wishful thinker and that you have ingenuity and access to parts that other people on this forum do not. Hence, my previous tone.

If you got the watch and like it. Good, wear it in health. Just don't expect a lot of help when you post on the board. "Hey guys, where's the best place to get a gen dial for an incorrectly sized superocean?"

Despite my rant, the watch isn't bad. Just nothing special, especially for the hopes you expressed. Enjoy it as is and post some nice wrist shots that we all appreciate ;) . Cheers

Breitling Seawolf, blue dialed gen. Not sure if the blue dial was repped but the black dial is a (supposedly) 1:1 rep. Since you have been around for 15 years and have access to all the gen parts ;) why not buy this and get the gen blue dial?

44 or 45 mm, numbers on dial, Pro 2 bracelett, st. steel case..

sw13lof.jpg

The guys from the Panerai section spray their dials with varnish to make it matte.. If this dial is too matte spray it with varnish to make it shinykg1w.gif

Edited by Tom Hawkes

Breitling Seawolf, blue dialed gen. Not sure if the blue dial was repped but the black dial is a (supposedly) 1:1 rep. Since you have been around for 15 years and have access to all the gen parts ;) why not buy this and get the gen blue dial?

sw13lof.jpg

The guys from the Panerai section spray their dials with varnish to make it matte.. If this dial is too matte spray it with varnish to make it shinykg1w.gif

NOW THAT IS A BEAUTY!!

Tutima's former rep with grey dial (hope he doesn't mind me posting pics)

DSC09981.jpg

This is a 1:1 model.. meaning.. gen parts are LIKELY to fit. Doesn't mean that gen parts are readily available though :)

Guest mikemcnair

Tom, THIS IS the dial I was going to try to source!!!! Thabks for the pic.

All: points take and appreciated , thanks for taking the time to clarify.

My hopes, well, I don't know, but I do have access to many rep and gen parts so we shall see what can/cannot work based on measurements and ways of attachment. :)

Love this blue diL below, although it IS missing a few numbers, I would rock it. AND, the case I ordered is actyLly meant more for THAT dial than the one it comes with. Oh, and me no like gmt, and chrono (particularly the 7750 in most) and 44 mm is a must for my tastes. 40-42 just doesn't cut it. Again, just personal taste.

Thabks guys, sorry if I didn't make things clear. I do LOVE the look of this one, and will wear it in good health.

sw13lof.jpg

Your post purchase rationalization theory is off, I specifically sought out this watch, and sold the titanium seawolf (look in the FS section here ;) ) because it was close, bit not exactly what I wanted.

As for gen parts, I like to tinker, I wanna see what I can do with it. If nothing, so be it.

I wanna know why the [censored] you guys care so much about authenticity. I LIKE THE [censored] WATCH, the first time I saw I I loved it, plain and simple. If I wanted a super rep I would get one(my ult dssd is damn near perfect, and I have a YM for my son which is amazing) but I just Liked THIS one.

If you read closely in the rep reviews in the faq's in here, the last wath listed is this one, and it even says "a shitty rep that's not close to gen, avoid" but I don't care, I like the look.

And thanks for the pix of the colt, I had not seen those versions. But I don't like the bezel on the one, and the other has a weird color to the dial (first two pix) then there is the half "bulls eye" looking rings that encompass half the dial, what's that all about?

Regardles, I appreciate those pix, but that's not for me.

I like this guy! :thumbsupsmileyanim: As for making Gen parts fit...You can make anything fit as long as you want to spend the time doing modifications. I have machined cases before to make dials fit that I was told would not...That is the best part about Reps...you can tinker all you like! :drinks:

@mikemc...

Get the new rep seawolf shown above and mount a gen older seawolf dial...will be fantasy, but would look good...all numbers...

I have a polished ss chrono avenger with gen blue dial - fantasy, but one of my nicest pieces...

Guest mikemcnair

@mikemc...

Get the new rep seawolf shown above and mount a gen older seawolf dial...will be fantasy, but would look good...all numbers...

I have a polished ss chrono avenger with gen blue dial - fantasy, but one of my nicest pieces...

wait, this one? http://www.abload.de/img/sw13lof.jpg

cause that is still missing 3,6,9,12, although that was my intention if i went gen dial, if you are referring to something else PLEASE tell me, cause i thought i would have to "settle" with that dial.....

Guest mikemcnair

BIKE MIKE, yer like me: make decisions, figure out the details later :)

as for the watch.....

in all reality, this is my dream watch, in 44mm, with NOTHING POLISHED on it, (all "brushed" steel)

from breitlingsource.com

Specifications

Model: Avenger Seawolf

Production Years: 2003-2008

Case Materials Available: Titanium

Movement: Breitling 17

Power Reserve: 42 Hours

Water Resistance: 3000m

Bezel: Unidirectional

Crown: Screw-Locked

Crystal: Sapphire

Diameter: 44mm

Thickness: 18.4mm

Weight: 102.3g

Bracelet: Professional Titanium PROBLEM, I WANT STEEL SO IT'S HEAVY!!!!

Lug Width: 22mm

Watchwinder Direction: Both

Reference Numbers: e17370

seawolf_01.jpg