When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5th gen 42mm PO not winding...

B6S4

Hey Guys,

I recieved my 5th gen PO with eta 2824-2 movement earlier this week. I have noticed that over the last couple days, the watch will stop running even while being on the watch winder. If I manually wind the watch, it will start running again, but it seems as though the watch will not auto wind. Any ideas as to what it could be? I am planning on opening up the caseback after work today to see if the rotor engages the auto wind mechanism. I really hope I don't have to send it back to the dealer as I don't want to risk losing the watch.

Edit: I just picked up the watch and noticed it had stopped running even though the winder was rotating. I gave the watch a good shake and it started running again. Seems as though the auto wind is actually working. The other thing I noticed is that, everytime the watch stops, the second hand stops in the same position (2 clicks past the 5 marker) at around the same hour and minute position (about 11:40pm).

Edited by B6S4

Coudlnt get the caseback off with the duct tape trick, so I went to a local watchstore to have them open it up for me. Upon opening it, we noticed that the rotor did not move very freely. We were able to rotate the watch and have to give it a little shake for the rotor to fall back down. The auto winding gears were engaging properly, but the rotor movement was stiff. Being that the store did not have very much experience in automatic movements, I had them close it back up.

Any ideas as to what would cause the rotor to be stiff? I don't really know of any shops around here that would be able to service the watch. I'm hoping I dont have to send it back to the dealer.