When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Two incoming replicas from Hont

calatrava

I'm anxiously awaiting two new replicas from Hont, a Patek Philippe Nautilus (Blue Dial), and a Vacheron Constantin Overseas (White Dial). I did also recently purchase a genuine Vacheron Constantin Overseas, but I figured that I would wear the replica on a daily basis, and save the genuine watch for special occasions.

post-29905-0-10222800-1301679632.jpg

post-29905-0-84484000-1301679629.jpg

post-29905-0-39005600-1301679634.jpg

post-29905-0-52011100-1301679642.jpg

As a point of comparison, this is a photo of my genuine Vacheron Constantin Overseas.

post-29905-0-62848400-1301679747.jpg

Mmmm nice ones :)

Do this hont have a webstore?

And what payments does he take?

Hont is starting a webstore,

http://www.hontwatch.com/

http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/ff194/hontwatch/

but it's usually easier to just email him, hontwatch@gmail.com, and ask him to source an item for you. He takes Visa, Western Union, and Wire transfers. Full disclosure, he is not a trusted dealer on RWG, but is one on RWI.

Mmmmm, that blue Nautilus is very sexy.

Hont is good, I bought my Slevin from him 2 years ago, his pricing is very good too.

Mmmmm, that blue Nautilus is very sexy.

Hont is good, I bought my Slevin from him 2 years ago, his pricing is very good too.

I haven't yet received my watches, but my interaction with Hont has been very good. He was very accommodating. In fact, when I ordered the VC Overseas, the old version had double AR, and he took quite a bit of effort to track done one, but was unable to do so. Next, he tried asking the factory to see if they had any AR coated crystals they could install, and when that wasn't possible, he graciously offered a discount on the VC Overseas. Interestingly, all of this was much ado about nothing, since the genuine VC Overseas does not appear to have AR coating. He was also accommodating in letting me change my order from a black dialed Nautilus to a blue dialed Nautilus when it later became available, as well as my requests for additional QC photos, beyond the first set.

Edited by calatrava

Looks beautiful!

I already miss my Overseas I sold a few weeks ago..

Stupid question:

Are You sure the PP is blue?

The reason I ask is that I just tried to order one from my usual dealer and she told me she thinks it looks green.

And I notised that the green dial PP is not on Puretimes website anymore. Looks like it have been replaced with the blue dial.

I dont want to order a blue and get a green one, i already have the grey dialed Nautilus and the blue would be a perfect match :)

Stupid question:

Are You sure the PP is blue?

The reason I ask is that I just tried to order one from my usual dealer and she told me she thinks it looks green.

And I notised that the green dial PP is not on Puretimes website anymore. Looks like it have been replaced with the blue dial.

I dont want to order a blue and get a green one, i already have the grey dialed Nautilus and the blue would be a perfect match :)

According to the Perfect Clones website, there is indeed a green (more Turquoise, or blue-green) version as well, in addition to the blue one. The one on Puretimes certainly looks like an honest to goodness blue dialed version. Similarly, the one Hont was able to source for me looks more like the burnt blue version (albeit very well illuminated with light in the photo). Further complicating matters is the fact that one of the main attractions of the blue dialed version is the fact that there is a difference in perceived color based on lighting conditions and angle.

There's a nice comparison of the various replicas and the genuine Overseas:

I'm posting the caseback photos from that comparison for your reference.

I'm very aware of the comparisons but this pic caught my eye

post-29905-0-52011100-1301679642.jpg

That looks like the old casebacks that were not available anymore.

Of course the cannon line on the side of the ship is not there but the rest seems good enough.

Of course the cannon line on the side of the ship is not there but the rest seems good enough.

I see, this has always been the caseback I've seen on the Vacheron Overseas replicas that I've had experience with. I wasn't aware there was a shortage of these casebacks, perhaps you could post a photo of the new casebacks which your dealer is currently offering.

Can you please do a side by side comparison of your gen VC with rep when you get it? Would be interesting to see.

Yes, I'll try to do a photo comparison, as well as sharing my impression of how the two feel "on the wrist." This will have to wait for the replica to arrive, and perhaps a quiet weekend, but I will do this as soon as I possibly can.

Edited by calatrava

I'm very aware of the comparisons but this pic caught my eye

Prompted by your question about casebacks, I looked at the photos from a bunch of dealers, and found the following variants:

This photo was a QC photo from Watcheden, but the same caseback also appears on the watch from Hont and Silix. Can be identified with the serial number 795322.

post-29905-0-13420300-1301809169.jpg

This photo is from Silix's website, and is from the now discontinued model with double AR. Serial number 795368.

post-29905-0-09927600-1301809167.jpg

This photo is from Silix's website as well, and is from a cheaper model, which has the incorrect method of bracelet attachment, notice the two screws on the side of the lugs, there should only be one. This caseback however appears to be the closest of the three to the gen, since it has the row of cannons on the hull of the boat. Serial number 785364.

post-29905-0-79806000-1301809170.jpg

By the way, good eye on the crown sticking out too much. Based on a comparison between the various models above, and my gen, it appears as if the current cartel model, which can be purchased from Watcheden, Perfect Clones, Hont, and Silix, has a crown which is a bit too tall. In contrast, the SIlix double AR model which is no longer available seems to have a slightly shorter crown, and is more faithful to the gen.

Looking at all the different variants of the reps, I would say that if I had to build a fraken from just replica parts, I would choose the following:

Dial and caseback from SIlix's VACS006

The dial has a good size Maltese cross (most are too small), and a trapezoidal date window (current cartel is square, and Silix double AR has too large a bevel around it)

The caseback has the row of cannons on the hull of the ship, which is missing from the other available casebacks.

Crown and crystal from SIlix's VACS010 (double AR, discontinued)

The crown appears to be slightly shorter (from the photos), which is closer to the gen.

This model has nicely done double AR, which is nice, but it doesn't look like my gen as AR (at least the white dialed version).

Since this model has been discontinued, one probably has to file one of the other crowns to an appropriate height. The double AR isn't actually faithful to the gen in any case, so it isn't a great loss, and could easily be done aftermarket should one desire to do so.

Case and bracelet from Cartel version

Both of Silix's VAC006 and VAC010 have slightly incorrect bracelet attachments. In VAC006, the side of the lugs have 2 screws, when it should only have 1. In VAC010, the part of the watch head which attaches to the bracelet has 4 screws each at the top and bottom, when it should only have 2. The case and method of bracelet attachment appears to be most accurate on the Cartel, Watcheden, Hont, and current Silix model.

Edited by calatrava

Bravo .. great research and write-up.

Thanks, of course all of this is based on a careful examination of the photos from dealers, compared to my gen, and is predicated on the assumption that the dealers are still able to source the watches listed on their websites, and that the replica parts are interchangeable.