When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fantasy vs. Fantasy

Reginald37

In discussions of the Abyss I've seen comments about the fact that people "just don't get it" because what you're wearing is "per se" fake. Since there's no such thing as a big modern DSSD that's destro and 50 years old what you're wearing can't be real.

That said, there seems to be tons of people wearing Comex, Paul Newman, McQueens, Double Reds and other watches that if real would cost $35-$100k.

Given Project X, Black Out Concept, Black Ltd. Editions, Bamford etc... as well as threads on the Rolex forums where people are modifying there own watches, (probably as a result of those companies making it "ok"),it seems to me in terms of the Abyss type watch there's a pretty good precident for answering the 1% of people that might notice and ask to just say "I had it modified". Actually, it seems to me it's much more likely that I would take a used 6k DSSD and have it modified, something I could in fact do, then that I bought a $50k vintage, which in fact I couldn't do.

I'm getting a second "fantasy" watch from Donerix, a version of his China Clipper, (a modern GMT ll with shaved guards, plexi etc..) so I was thinking about this.

Not aking a stand, just thinking out loud.

"Purists" will never like/accept modified or fantasy pieces - kinda like auto freaks sweating frame chalk marks at the Concours d'Elegance show! Personally, as someone who enjoys modified cars and bikes, I really don't see anything wrong with a fantasy piece as long as it maintains "factory" quality, fit, and finish...

"Purists" will never like/accept modified or fantasy pieces - kinda like auto freaks sweating frame chalk marks at the Concours d'Elegance show! Personally, as someone who enjoys modified cars and bikes, I really don't see anything wrong with a fantasy piece as long as it maintains "factory" quality, fit, and finish...

I guess that's why these are my favorite bikes...

http://www.zero-eng.com/