When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Concepta Portu case vs gen case

sosodef

Hey, I replied to your thread on Repgeek. But in short - the "Concepta" case is a standard cartel (rep) case. The major difference is the caseback is not brushed and the inside needs to be machined out slightly to accept a gen movement. The Crowns are also a little shorter than the gen, they don't sit out as far and the real crowns. The Crystal also really needs a good double AR coating. None of these things are big problems though and all can be fixed. I've compared the case to a gen and they are very, very close.

You can not source a gen case, caseback, pushers or crystal I believe. I've tried and failed for my project.

Not sure about water mate, I wouldn't risk it personally.

Hey, I replied to your thread on Repgeek. But in short - the "Concepta" case is a standard cartel (rep) case. The major difference is the caseback is not brushed and the inside needs to be machined out slightly to accept a gen movement. The Crowns are also a little shorter than the gen, they don't sit out as far and the real crowns. The Crystal also really needs a good double AR coating. None of these things are big problems though and all can be fixed. I've compared the case to a gen and they are very, very close.

You can not source a gen case, caseback, pushers or crystal I believe. I've tried and failed for my project.

Not sure about water mate, I wouldn't risk it personally.

The gen crown is identical to the rep crown. I installed one this weekend

Becasue I also got a gen tube with it, I measured the crowns but since there was no difference I kept the rep tube on it.

One of the biggest tells is the back. The brushed part it thicker than the polished part. So even when you brush it, you still be able to tell.

Are you sure about this?

If yes I'll open one acclaim now to one person that sold me rep cases , sold as genuine .

I bought two 3717 cases .

Mate, what he meant is, that Concepta is using the normal "Cartel Portu (3714, not 3717 !!!) rep cases for his Portu projects.

If you bought a 3717 from him and he stated it is gen, then it IS gen :victory:

indeed, its possible to obtain 3717 genuine cases but not 3714 cases.

Genuine tubes for the 3714 are almost indistinguishable from the rep ones, so everybody is good with the rep ones. Genuine crowns are nicer (probus scafusia vs. fish ones).

With double AR and brushed caseback, it looks pretty accurate as per gen, some minor tells, but pretty good already.

I have a probus scafusia crown in the making :)

Soon no more "wrong" rep crowns :whistling:

The fish crown is not "wrong" because the first models came with it.

The models produced after (I think) 2006 came with the probus crown.

It's good to have the Probus crown though because the reps don't have it.

Yep, especially as I love the all black dial, I am waiting for Concepta to confirm stock of the Probus crowns as they will be the most accurate for this model.

Concepta, surely you can source the gen case, crown/pushers and crystal? :p

Imagine an all gen 3714 franken :D

What's the main difference, pushers and the bubble back on the reps.

The case back more than anything I think. The gen seems a bit more "chunky" I think. I'll try and do a picture comparison. The font is also thinner on the rep.

OK, not the best, I'll take a photo when I'm home but you can see the gen case has more "meat" on it and the font is not as thick. It's a bit hard to see the back is not brushed in these images but on my rep it's smooth and shiny like the outer caseback.

3714Caseback.png