When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Question on movements/fixing them

DP8

Sorry for the photos being so large, but I wanted to get some details in there. I got these just around 2 years ago or so. I have a bunch of watches, so they don't get a ton of wrist time. Got them out the other day before a trip and noticed that they're sporadically working. Wondering if they maybe just need to be worked on a little, or if they're not worth it.

Again sorry for the photos. Colors are off too. I built a little (too little) light box to try some photos and had to do a lot of Post in PS to get the white background correct (it's still a little blue).

Thanks much for any advice/guidance. :pardon:

GMTLGFront.jpg

GMTLGBack.jpg

LuminorMarinaLGFront.jpg

LuminorMarinaLGBack.jpg

LuminorMarina2LGFront.jpg

LuminorMarina2LGBack.jpg

I can not see the pics, since tapatalk is not behaving. If they have been sitting around unused for a couple of years then they are probably bone dry inside. This may be a stupid question but did you wind them 20 turns by the crown and then see what happens, or are you moving them a bit and expecting them to auto-wind? If they need a bit of oil then you are looking at less than 100 each for common service and less than 200 each for chronograph service (7750 movements) Edit: I can now see they are manual wind pams .. They are dry and need service.

They probably need a service, or maybe just some time on your wrist.

I have found that some old mechanicals which aren't running will sometimes start up after time in a warm place or even on the wrist.

Worth a shot, but if they do start to run, they still probably require servicing.

O/S

Thanks guys :thumbsupsmileyanim: I'll give them each some wrist time. So the movements aren't horrible? I know I paid at least a few Benjamin's for each.

Any way I can service them myself? Wouldn't mind trying on one of them, as these are older.

Any way I can service them myself? Wouldn't mind trying on one of them, as these are older.

I couldn't answer that for you. I have a shotty U-boat rep that I took apart just for fun... mainly because I didn't care if it got effed up. As for servicing movements, personally, I wouldn't try, I'd make it worse. If they are older watches and you don't care about messing it up even more, I say for it! :drinks:

Edited by BGGodwin