When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best summer rep

Guest apetrills

Guest apetrills

So I am very new to the forums and I must say I am obsessed. I have probably spent on average 3-4 hours a day since I have found this forum. I have owned several reps and several gens over the last 5 years, everything from tags to breitlings. I love watches and always will. I have had some sites in the past that were good and others that were terrible, almost all of which are now shut down. Before i get into my question I just wanted to thank everyone for their knowledge and sharing a wonderful and very cool hobby!

Sooo I am looking for a summer watch. I have have read and searched and I have come up empty handed. I have decided to use Josh for the next rep purchase. Obviously along with summer comes water (pool/ocean)

On Josh's QC Page """3. Waterproofing

All watches above price of USD200 will be given FREE waterproofing service ( 1 to 3 ATM). Again we will try our best to get the best rating for you. The method of testing is the "Dry Method" using a Dry Pressure Rating Equipment such as this one. """ Picture follows but not relevant.

On Josh's FAQ """WATER RESISTANCE/ WATER PROOF

Please note that although certain watches are water-resistant to a certain degree, Perfect Clones will suggest that you try to keep it away from water whenever possible and always make sure that the watch crown is screwed in tight to avoid water or moisture entering it. All watches have been checked to be in working condition before we send them out.

Please do not wear your watch when you go swimming or even when taking a shower. This is to prevent accidental moisture or water seeping in. We at Perfect Clones cannot guarantee the watch if your accidental usage results in water or moisture getting into the watch."""

I am confused, seems like a contradicting statement. I am contemplating a PAM 005k, Rolex daydate II, BCE, or Breitling super avenger. I read somewhere (one of the hundreds of pages I have read in the last few weeks) that chronos can not be waterproofed and even the gens leak. Im confused and looking for some clarity.

Thanks in advance!

The basic waterproof nature of any watch depends on it's design. Is it a replica of a waterproof watch, to begin with? For instance, a Daytona replica with screw down chrono pushers is theoretically far more waterproof than a replica of a non-divers watch, even tho it's a chronograph.

The bottom line, tho, is that any replica watch you buy will have almost no quality checks at the factory. The waterproofing gaskets could be completely missing from the watch you receive. No one checks.

Guest apetrills

The basic waterproof nature of any watch depends on it's design. Is it a replica of a waterproof watch, to begin with? For instance, a Daytona replica with screw down chrono pushers is theoretically far more waterproof than a replica of a non-divers watch, even tho it's a chronograph.

The bottom line, tho, is that any replica watch you buy will have almost no quality checks at the factory. The waterproofing gaskets could be completely missing from the watch you receive. No one checks.

So Josh's "waterproofing" procedure is not thorough? I recently read a thread were a PAM 005 came delivered without the crown gasket. I mean thats an obvious example of lack of QC/QA.

So screw in pushers on a chrono are better than lets say a hublot pusher? So are rep hublot chronos capable of ever being "waterproofed"?

If you want a summer watch get your self an Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine Diver,the price is very good,it looks excellent on the wrist and most important of all it is waterproof.The only thing you have to check is that the caseback screws are tight.I have used all my Maxi Marines for lit diving with no problems.

There has been much evidence over the years that dealers waterproofing service is a scam. The case of one member's UPO that showed up with a completely stripped crown tube comes to mind. How on earth could that watch possibly be certified as waterproof? My advice to you would be to buy a watch specifically for swimming. I'd stay away from chrono models and stick with models that were designed as diver watches. I've had great success with Planet Oceans and the Breitling SFSO. I'm also considering getting a ploprof for this summer. I've never even bothered greasing the seals, just make sure that the caseback is tight (usually isn't) and that the crown and he valve is tight. Only issue I've ever had was that a bezel insert popped off a Silix UPO while on a particularly rough water slide. Since then my SFSO has become my "go to" water watch.

I trust Josh but I also verify before any dunkings. I have a bergeon waterproof tester that I use to make sure a waterproof watch won't disappoint me if I take it swimming. Although I'm a diver, I only go swimming to 10 feet with any watch- gen or rep. I use a dive computer for real diving.

Some watches such as the non-chrono PAMs are rated to 300m in their gen counterparts, the Breitling SOSF to some hundreds more. Their design is inherently water-resistant, so it makes sense that with the right gaskets and greasing, these should at least get a solid 5-10 bar water resistance. The ones to stay away from are the super-deep divers like the DSSD and the Planet Ocean, the He valve does not function correctly in the reps and is a liability in terms of water-resistance..

I'd recommend a Seiko Diver's watch as your 'wet' watch. Classic design, well-under-rated water resistance, plus they are available online at excellent prices.

A minor point, but an important one. No watch is 'waterproof' by definition, they can only be rated to a depth of water-resistance.

Damn.....this topic have come up so many times!

As wombat says, trust but verify!!!

All the "Water Resistant" rep watches I bought over the years, I open and grease all the rubber parts, and then have them tested! Most of them passed (90%)! SOme up to 10 ATM, but most 3 ATM.

Rolex SUBs + SDs - 95% to 10 ATM

PAM - almost all the Submersible to 10ATM

AP ROO - all SS models, non rubber clad to 10ATM

Others......depends!

My experience......02 cents!